1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the closure is the following set.

1. Oct 2, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose (X,d) is a metric space. For a point in X and a non empty set S (as a subset of X), define d(p,S) = inf({(d(p,x):x belongs to S}). Prove that the closure of S is equal to the set {p belongs to S : d(p,S) =0}

2. Relevant equations

Closure of S = S U S' , where S' is the set of limit points of S.

3. The attempt at a solution

Any hint would be useful. My line of reasoning is the following.
    I started with a picture of all the metric space. I took cases like p being part of S and then p not being part of S. But, if p is not part of S, then the intersection of Neighborhood of p with some small radius , r with the set S could be null as d(p,x) > 0. Where as the least distance of any such point "p" and x is zero. Also, d(p,S) belongs to R. Hence, there shall be a real number between any nonzero d(p,S) and zero. As a result, all elements of inf{d(p,S)} = 0.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

p is a limit point of S if and only if there is a sequence s_i in S tending to p. Just writing the definition pretty much solves the problem.
  4. Oct 2, 2007 #3
    Does not make any sense to me

Edit: Yup, it makes sense now. For some reason, the class on sequence is chapter 3 in Rudin but the homework problem given to me is after Chapter 2. so, it was not not easy understanding the subsequence part. However, I solved it in a different way.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?