1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that lim S is a closed set

1. Sep 14, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that pn → p and each pn lies in lim S. We claim that p ∈ lim S. Since
    pn is a limit of S there is a sequence (pn,k)k∈N in S that converges to pn as k →∞.
    Thus there exists qn = pn,k(n)∈ S such that
    d(pn, qn) <1/n.
    Then, as n→∞ we have
    d(p, qn) ≤ d(p, pn) + d(pn, qn) → 0
    which implies that qn → p, so p ∈ lim S, which completes the proof that lim S is a
    closed set.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only part of the proof I don't understand is the following:

Since
    pn is a limit of S there is a sequence (pn,k)k∈N in S that converges to pn as k →∞.
    Thus there exists qn = pn,k(n)∈ S such that
    d(pn, qn) <1/n.

Where does the 1/n come from? Why can we be sure that such a qn exists?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2017 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are given that ##p## is a limit of points of ##lim S##. You want to show that ##p## itself is an element of ##lim S##. To do this you have show that there is a sequence of point in ##S## whose limit is ##p##. The argument shows that for every ##n## there is a point of ##S## whose distance from ##p## is less than ##1/n##. Which goes to zero as ##n \rightarrow \infty##. Hence ##p## is in ##lim S##. Clearer?

4. Sep 14, 2017 #3

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anything that goes to 0 will do the trick. You can use 1/n and n→∞ or you can use ε>0 and ε→0. They will both make the distance go to 0.
    Because pn is a limit of points in S, there is a qn at least that close to pn.

5. Sep 16, 2017 #4
    I guess my main confusion lies in the following: Thus there exists qn = pn,k(n)∈ S such that d(pn, qn) <1/n.

Does this somehow come from the definition of convergence? Also, I am confused by the notation. The proof says that there is a sequence that converges to pn. So are we saying that n is some fixed number in this instance? Because obviously a sequence can't converge to another sequence.

6. Sep 17, 2017 #5

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes. It comes from the sentence before: pn is a limit of S there is a sequence (pn,k)k∈N in S that converges to pn as k →∞.
    For that statement, n is fixed. But the logic will work for any n, which is important since n →∞.
    I agree. and it doesn't even have to converge to the same limit as the other sequence. It is converging to the limit of the points, pn that the sequences (pn,k)k∈N converge to.

7. Sep 17, 2017 #6

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Start with the blue sequence of points, pn, converging to the red point, A. Each blue point is in S, so there is a sequence of green points converging to each one. Select the sequence of circled points converging to A. That circled sequence proves that A is also in S.
    limitOfLimits.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted