1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the cuberoot of 2 is irrational

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Prove that the cuberoot of 2 is irrational

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the cuberoot of 2 is irrational

3. The attempt at a solution
    Assume it is rational, and find a contradiction.
    2^(1/3) = a/b, where a, b are integers, where a/b is in lowest terms, and where b != 0.
    2 = a^3 / b^3
    2b^3 = a^3

Aaaand stuck.
    Can someone give me a little push?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It works just like the square root proof. What happens if a is not divisible by 2?
  4. Jan 27, 2008 #3
  5. Jan 27, 2008 #4
    To be completely honest, neither of your answers really make sense to me :(
    I mean, I'm sure they're completely valid and correct answers, but I'm having trouble grasping what you're getting at.

Can someone elaborate a little? I realize it has something to do with the definitions of a and b (Being integers, lowest terms, and b != 0), but I don't see what.

And NateTG, I have the squareroot proof in my book, in front of me... but it uses the fact that a^2 and b^2 = even. I can't use that fact here, as a^3 will be of the same polarity as a, and b^3 the same polarity as b. I can't rely on it being even, nor odd.
  6. Jan 27, 2008 #5
    since 2b^3 = a^3 don't you know that a^3 is even? therefore making a even?

then a = 2c for some integer c, and subbing back in you get 2b^3=(2c)^3=8c^3?

does this help?
  7. Jan 27, 2008 #6
    If a^3 = 6, then a = cuberoot(6), which in theory would be irrational (However proving this would just be another huge circle).

If a^3 is even, why is a even?
    Ooohh... 'cause a has to be an integer...

Yeah, I think I see now.
  8. Jan 27, 2008 #7
    And then because a and b are both even, they're both divisible by 2, which breaks the hypothesis of "lowest common terms".
  9. Jan 27, 2008 #8
    If a is odd what's a^3, odd or even?
  10. Jan 27, 2008 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, which is the same proof as for square root 2.
  11. Jan 27, 2008 #10
    Yep, solved the problem now. Wanna know what was confusing me? For some reason, I thought that a^2 = Even, regardless of value of a. But then I sat there and thought... 3^2=9...wtf?

Yeah... sorry for the stupid questions, and thanks for your help everyone :)
    With your help, I've not only completed this question, but blasted straight through the next one ^^;
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?