Prove that the cuberoot of 2 is irrational

  • Thread starter Thread starter Goldenwind
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Irrational
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 19K views
Goldenwind
Messages
145
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Prove that the cuberoot of 2 is irrational

Homework Statement


Prove that the cuberoot of 2 is irrational

The Attempt at a Solution


Assume it is rational, and find a contradiction.
2^(1/3) = a/b, where a, b are integers, where a/b is in lowest terms, and where b != 0.
2 = a^3 / b^3
2b^3 = a^3

Aaaand stuck.
Can someone give me a little push?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It works just like the square root proof. What happens if a is not divisible by 2?
 
To be completely honest, neither of your answers really make sense to me :(
I mean, I'm sure they're completely valid and correct answers, but I'm having trouble grasping what you're getting at.

Can someone elaborate a little? I realize it has something to do with the definitions of a and b (Being integers, lowest terms, and b != 0), but I don't see what.

And NateTG, I have the squareroot proof in my book, in front of me... but it uses the fact that a^2 and b^2 = even. I can't use that fact here, as a^3 will be of the same polarity as a, and b^3 the same polarity as b. I can't rely on it being even, nor odd.
 
since 2b^3 = a^3 don't you know that a^3 is even? therefore making a even?

then a = 2c for some integer c, and subbing back in you get 2b^3=(2c)^3=8c^3?

does this help?
 
jimmypoopins said:
since 2b^3 = a^3 don't you know that a^3 is even? therefore making a even?

then a = 2c for some integer c, and subbing back in you get 2b^3=(2c)^3=8c^3?

does this help?

If a^3 = 6, then a = cuberoot(6), which in theory would be irrational (However proving this would just be another huge circle).

If a^3 is even, why is a even?
Ooohh... 'cause a has to be an integer...

Yeah, I think I see now.
 
And then because a and b are both even, they're both divisible by 2, which breaks the hypothesis of "lowest common terms".
Yes?
 
Goldenwind said:
If a^3 = 6, then a = cuberoot(6), which in theory would be irrational (However proving this would just be another huge circle).

If a^3 is even, why is a even?
Ooohh... 'cause a has to be an integer...

Yeah, I think I see now.
If a is odd what's a^3, odd or even?
 
Goldenwind said:
And then because a and b are both even, they're both divisible by 2, which breaks the hypothesis of "lowest common terms".
Yes?

Yeah, which is the same proof as for square root 2.
 
Yep, solved the problem now. Wanna know what was confusing me? For some reason, I thought that a^2 = Even, regardless of value of a. But then I sat there and thought... 3^2=9...wtf?

Yeah... sorry for the stupid questions, and thanks for your help everyone :)
With your help, I've not only completed this question, but blasted straight through the next one ^^;