1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

prove that the group U(n^2 -1) is not cyclic

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    Sorry if I formatted this thread incorrectly as its my first post ^^

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For every integer n greater than 2, prove that the group U(n^2 - 1) is not cyclic.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I've done a problem proving that U(2^n) is not cyclic when n >3, but I'm failing to make a parallel.

How does one find the order of (n^2 -1)? Is this information even needed to solve this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2

Deveno

Science Advisor

you might want to prove some easier things first:

suppose 8|k, that is:

k = 2tm, where t ≥ 3.

then φ(k) = φ(2t)φ(m), so

U(k) ≅ U(2t) x U(m).

use this to show U(k) cannot be cyclic, as it has a non-cyclic subgroup.

now, consider even n and odd n for n2-1 separately.

4. Feb 29, 2012 #3
    I have learned that property of Euler's totient function, but not the one about U(ab) = U(a) x U(b). I've come across it online, but have yet to use it in class.

Is there another method?

5. Feb 29, 2012 #4

Deveno

Science Advisor

U(ab) isn't always isomorphic to U(a) x U(b).

for example U(4) is cyclic of order 2, but U(2) x U(2) has but a single element: (1,1).

it IS true, if a and b are co-prime.

this is actually a consequence of the chinese remainder theorem:

if gcd(m,n) = 1, then [a]mn→([a]m,[a]n) is a group isomorphism of (Zmn,+) with (Zm,+) x (Zn,+).

it's easy to check that [a]mn→([a]m,[a]n) is a ring homomorphism as well, hence Zmn and Zm x Zn have isomorphic groups of units (when...gcd(m,n) = 1. this is key).

i find it odd, that you wouldn't use this result, since it builds on the result of your previous problem.

6. Feb 29, 2012 #5
    It may be because it's still fairly early in the course. I learned the Chinese Remainder Theorem in a number theory class, but have yet to encounter it in my current one. We are going to study rings after the upcoming exam.

The previous problem was in a different chapter of the text I believe. This question is supposed to be a "review."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook