1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that the product of 2 consecutive natural numbers is even

1. Dec 3, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the product of two consecutive natural numbers is even.

2. The attempt at a solution
    Hi, I'm just starting to work with proofs by induction, I'm just wondering if this is a valid technique, and/or if I am being too verbose in my proof, thanks!

Let [itex]P(n)=n(n+1)[/itex] is even
    Let [itex]f(n)=n(n+1)[/itex]

Let [itex]n=1[/itex]
    Since [itex]1(1+1)=2[/itex], and 2 is even, it follows that [itex]P(1)[/itex] is true.
    Suppose [itex]P(k)[/itex] is true, that is, suppose [itex]k(k+1)[/itex] is even.
    Then,
    [itex]f(k+1)-f(k)=(k+1)((k+1)+1)-k(k+1)[/itex]
    [itex]f(k+1)-f(k)=(k+1)(k+2)-k(k+1)[/itex]
    [itex]f(k+1)-f(k)=(k+1)(k+2-k)[/itex]
    [itex]f(k+1)-f(k)=2(k+1)[/itex]
    [itex]f(k+1)=2(k+1)+f(k)[/itex]

Since by our induction hypothesis, [itex]f(k)[/itex] is even, it follows that the sum, [itex]f(k+1)[/itex], of [itex]2(k+1)[/itex] and [itex]f(k)[/itex] is also even. Since [itex]P(1)[/itex] is true, and [itex]P(k+1)[/itex] is true if [itex]P(k)[/itex] is true, by induction, [itex]P(n)[/itex] is true for all natural numbers [itex]n[/itex].

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2012 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

That is right. You might not need so many algebra steps. The telescoping sum is just a fancy way to see that

[tex]n(n+1)=2 \sum_{k=1}^n k[/tex]

4. Dec 3, 2012 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

If you're going to be explaining P(k) is even by assumption, why not explicitly make it so? Let P(k) = k(k+1) = 2n where n is some natural number, so then you can plug that in later to obtain

P(k+1) = 2(k+1+n)

And then say, since n and k are assumed to be natural numbers, P(k+1) is even... etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook