1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove that Wm is a subspace of R2?

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    I need help with this problem that I don't know how to solve.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For each positive integer m, it's defined a subset of R2 as Wm={(mx,x)|x in R}
    (a) Prove that each Wm is a subspace of R2.
    (b) ¿Is the union of all Wm a subspace of R2?. Prove it.

2. Relevant equations

None.

3. The attempt at a solution

Trying to prove (a)
    To prove Wm is a subspace we know we have to show that
    (1) 0 vector is in Wm
    (2) Given u,v in Wm; then u+v is an element of Wm
    (3) Given u in Wm, k in R, then k*u is an element of Wm

I don't know how to prove (2)
    I have a problem proving (3), if we choose k in R, if k is negative, then km is negative and we'd have Wm=((km)x,x) with km negative, then ku for some u in Wm is not an element of Wm.

Trying to prove (b)
    I have no idea at all.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2
    To prove (2), you need to write out what u and v "look like" since they are elements of [itex] W_m [/itex]. For (3), I think you're making a mistake in your multiplication. Normally the definition is
    [tex]
    c(x,y) = (cx, cy) \; .
    [/tex]

For (b), try to think of what [itex] W_m[/itex] represents geometrically. If you're having trouble with it, you can always try drawing an example for a specific value of m.

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3

Thanks, proving (2) giving u is an element of Wm then u=(mx,x) x in R, now I know how to prove Wm is a subspace. Proving 3, you're right I forgot about the second coordinate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook