1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove the sequence n/2^n converges to 0

1. Oct 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that [tex]x_n=\frac{n}{2^n}[/tex] converges to 0

2. Relevant equations
    Squeeze theorem?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've already proven that for [tex]n\geq 4, n^2 < 2^n[/tex] which means that [tex]\frac{1}{n} < \frac{n}{2^n}[/tex]. My desired approach is to use the squeeze theorem, but I cannot think of another sequence greater than n/2^n that would converge to 0.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Can you show that (n + 1)/2n + 1 < n/2n for all n past some initial value? (Proof by induction?) If you can show this, and then use the fact that the sequence is bounded below (by zero), you have sequence that is monotonically decreasing and bounded below by 0, hence converges to 0.

4. Oct 22, 2009 #3
    You got the sign wrong. [tex] \frac{1}{n} > \frac{n}{2^n} > 0 [/tex] for n>4. Next, apply the squeeze theorem.

that's not enough. For example, 1+1/n is monotonically decreasing and it's bounded below by 0, but it does not converge to 0.

5. Oct 22, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You got me. Mea culpa.

6. Oct 22, 2009 #5
    Thanks hamster, my teacher warned me against this kind of mistake too. Live and learn I guess :)

7. Oct 22, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]x_{n+1}/x_n[/itex] has limit r< 1 then you can "compare" the sequence to [itex]r^n[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook