1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove this is a Real Vector Space

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be the real functions y=f(x) satisfying d^2(y)/(dx^2) + 9y=0.

a. Prove that V is a 2-dimensional real vector space.
    b. In V define (y,z) = integral (from 0 to pi) yz dx. Find an orthonormal basis in V.

3. The attempt at a solution
    part A:
    I integrated and got that f(x)= (-3/2)y^3 + Cy, C is a real number.
    It seems like I need to use dot product here. I don't know how, though.

part B:
    Completely lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

First off, f(x) should be a function of x.
    Second, you made a mistake in solving your DE: the solutions to y'' + 9y = 0 are not what you show.

What do you know about the characteristic equation of a linear DE?

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3
    Oh, I never took a DE class. All I did was integrate it twice, and I didn't even realize it wasn't a function of x. What should I do?

5. Feb 10, 2009 #4

Mark44

OK. You don't need to know how to solve the equation in order to verify that the set of all solutions to it is a vector space.
    You know that you have to verify a set of axioms involving addition and scalar multiplication, right?

6. Feb 10, 2009 #5
    Yes..
    Under addition we must show it is well-defined and
    1. Associativity
    2. commutativity
    3. zero element
    4. inverses
    5. closed

Under multiplication we need to show well-definedness and
    1. L and R distribution
    2. associativity
    3. id (unit)
    4. zero element
    5. closed

do I have it covered here?

7. Feb 10, 2009 #6

Mark44

Yes, those are the axioms that you have to verify.

Let f, g, and h be elements of V. (What does that imply in regard to your DE?. IOW, what exactly does it mean for a function to be an element of V?)
    Let a and b be real numbers.

To pick a couple, #4 in the addition group and #4 in the scalar multiplication group:

If g is in V, is there another element h in V so that g + h = 0?
    If g and h are in V, is g + h in V?

8. Feb 10, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The point was that you wrote f(x)= (-3/2)y^3 + Cy. "y" is not "x"! If you had had d^2y/dx^2= a function of x, then you could integrate twice but you cannot integrate an expression in "y" with respect to x when you don't know y as a function of x.

Presumably you already know that addition of functions is associative and commutative, that f(x)= 0 for all x is the additive identity, etc and don't need to prove that here. All you really need to show is that if f(x) and g(x) are functions satisfying d^2f/dx^2+ 9f= 0 and d^2g/dx^2+ 9g= 0 then any linear combination of them, af(x)+ bg(x) for a and b any numbers, also satisfies that.

9. Feb 10, 2009 #8
    Well how do I use the second derivative in helping me prove that V satisfies all the axioms?

10. Feb 11, 2009 #9

Mark44

By using the theorems of differentiability. If f and g are differentiable functions, then so is f + g, and (f+g)' = f' + g'. Also, if a is a constant, then af is differentiable, and (af)' = af'. These ideas can be extended to the next higher derivative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook