1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove this recursively defined sequence goes to 0

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that [itex]2^{n^{1001}} |a_{n} - a_{\infty}| \rightarrow 0 [/itex] as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty. [/itex]

Here, an is defined recursively by [itex]a_{1} = 1, a_{n+1} = \frac{1}{2}(a_{n}+\frac{x}{a_{n}}).[/itex]

I already know that [itex]a_{\infty} = \sqrt{x}.[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
    We are given a hint to consider [itex](y_{n}) = \frac{a_{n} - a_{\infty}}{a_{n} + a_{\infty}}.[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I considered the hint, and by defining the sequence in the hint to be (yn) I got that yn+1 = yn2. However, I don't know how to proceed and show that the above sequence goes to zero. I know [itex]a_{n} - a_{\infty} \rightarrow 0[/itex] by definition, but I don't see how that yn thing helps. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2
    Anyone? :frown:

4. Oct 21, 2011 #3
    OK, one final bump, and then I give up. But from the lack of responses I see I'm not the only one really puzzled by this problem.

Basically, I need to find a way to show (an) as defined above converges faster than (2n)1001 diverges.

5. Oct 22, 2011 #4
    You haven't mentioned the domain of the functions in [itex](a_n)[/itex]. It should probably not contain 0, as I think the quantity in question doesn't converge for [itex]x=0[/itex].

I haven't checked it, but I assume that [itex]y_{n+1}=y_n^2[/itex] is correct. This implies that [itex]y_{n}=y_1^{2^n}[/itex]. Moreover, we can calculate that [itex]|y_1|< 1[/itex] from the definition of [itex](y_n)[/itex] and the fact that [itex]x\neq 0[/itex]. Now [tex]\begin{eqnarray}
    2^{n^{1001}} |a_{n} - a_{\infty}| &=& 2^{n^{1001}} |a_{n} + a_{\infty}|||y_n| \nonumber \\
    &\leq& 2^{n^{1001}} |2\sqrt{x}||y_n| \nonumber \\
    &=& 2^{n^{1001}} |2\sqrt{x}||y_1^{2^n}| \nonumber \\
    &=& 2^{n^{1001}} |2\sqrt{x}||y_1|^{2^n}
    \end{eqnarray}.[/tex]
    Can you carry on from here to prove that this must converge to 0 pointwise? And if you can, is the convergence uniform?

6. Oct 22, 2011 #5
    Hi Mr. Miyagi, and thanks for the response! Even though the homework due date has now already past, I appreciate the input. And in fact, after four hours of wracking my brain on how to do this, I did indeed finally come to the same conclusion as you did, and essentially used the fact that exponentials rise faster than polynomials. I feel really stupid for needing such a long time to figure that out, but eh...

Oh, and the domain is the real numbers, but x must be greater than zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook