Proving 11 is a factor of 2^(4n+3)+3(5^n)

  • Thread starter Thread starter charmedbeauty
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
charmedbeauty
Messages
266
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Theorem if n is a non-negative integer then 11 is a factor of 2^(4n+3)+3(5^n)

Basic ideas if 2^(4n+3) =11k -3(5^n) then,
2^(4n+7) =11(16k -3(5^n))-3(5^(n+1))



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



So I understand how they get the result 2^(4n+3) =11k -3(5^n)

but I have no idea how to obtain the second result, namely, 2^(4n+7) =11(16k -3(5^n))-3(5^(n+1)) ?

Im stumped I can obviously see how they have added another 2^4 but I really don't see how that produces RHS. Help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematical induction, [itex]k \rightarrow k+1[/itex]
 
Karamata said:
Mathematical induction, [itex]k \rightarrow k+1[/itex]

Ok but when I do my basis step for n=1...

2^(4+3) +15 = 11k

so 2^7 +15 =11k

so 143= 11(13) which is true

so if 2^(4n+3)=11k -3(5^n)...

so 11k = 2^(4n+3) +3(5^n)

now check its true for n+1

so 2^(4(n+1)+3) =11K-3(5^(n+1))

so 2^(4n+7) = 11k-3(5^(n+1))

so subing in for 11k from above I have

2^(4n+7) = (2^(4n+3)+3(5^n))-3(5^(n+1))'

but I need to show

2^(4n+7)=11(16k-3(5^n))-3(5(n+1))

?

I have not really done any mathematical induction before I just watched a few videos, so I have probably done something wrong. Help!

so 1
 
This shouldn't be under Calculus. :wink:

Here's a hint:

[tex]2^{4(n+1) + 3} + 3.5^{n+1} = 16.2^{4n + 3} + 5.(3.5^n)[/tex]

and 16 = 5 + 11. Regroup those factors! :biggrin: Try and manipulate it into something like:

[tex]p.(2^{4n + 3} + 3.5^n) + 11q[/tex]

where p and q are integers or integral expressions that I'll leave you to determine.

Once you've assumed the inductive hypothesis that [itex](2^{4n + 3} + 3.5^n)[/itex] is a multiple of 11, wouldn't that whole expression magically become a multiple of 11 too?

Then all you need to do is test it for n=1.:smile: