How to prove that two exponential terms are congruent to 7?

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof that for all natural numbers, 7 is a divisor of a specific expression. The first part of the conversation presents a simple case using the number 1, while the second part introduces the use of induction. The formula ##(a^4x-b^2y)=(a^2x-by)(a^2+b)-a^2b(x-y)## is suggested as a way to approach the problem, and the conversation ends with the conclusion that the proof has been successfully completed.
Eclair_de_XII

Homework Statement

"Prove: ##∀n∈ℕ,7|[3^{4n+1}-5^{2n-1}]##"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) "We take the trivial case: ##n=1##, and notice that ##3^5-5=238## and ##7|238## because ##7⋅(34)=238##."

(2) "Now let ##n=k## for some ##1<k∈ℕ##. Then we assume that ##7|[3^{4k+1}-5^{2k-1}]##. Now we must prove that ##7|[3^{4(k+1)+1}-5^{2(k+1)-1}]##. We rewrite the quantity as ##3^5(3^{4k})-5(5^{2k})##."

Here is where I got stuck. Basically, I was going to express everything in terms of ##mod5## and say that ##3^5(3^{4k})-5(5^{2k})=2mod5##.

"Now we have ##3^5(3^{4k})-5(5^{2k})=(3mod5)(1mod5)-(0mod5)(0mod5)=3mod5≠2mod5##."

I don't know how to approach the problem starting from the first sentence of (2). Can anyone help? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: use ##(a^4x-b^2y)=(a^2x-by)(a^2+b)-a^2b(x-y)##.

Okay, I got ##(3^5⋅9^k-5⋅5^k)(9^k+5^k##. I'm not sure how I would proceed by induction.

Eclair_de_XII said:
##3^5(3^{4k})−5^1(5^{2k})##
... isn't helpful. Why don't you write it as ##3^4(3^{4k+1})-5^2(5^{2k-1})## with the powers you have in your induction hypothesis? From here apply the formula I gave you and consider what you get on the right hand side.

Okay, I got it.

##7|(9⋅3^{4k+1}-5⋅5^{2k-1})(14)-45(3^{4k+1}-5^{2k-1})##

Thanks.

1. How do I know if two exponential terms are congruent to 7?

The easiest way to determine if two exponential terms are congruent to 7 is by using modular arithmetic. You can calculate the remainder of each term when divided by 7 and if the remainders are equal, then the terms are congruent to 7.

2. Can I use the properties of exponents to prove that two exponential terms are congruent to 7?

Yes, you can use the properties of exponents to prove the congruence of two exponential terms. One property that is particularly useful in this case is the fact that when two exponents are equal, their base raised to those exponents will also be equal. In other words, if a^x is congruent to b^y, then a^(mx) is congruent to b^(my) for any integer m.

3. Is it possible for two exponential terms to be congruent to 7 but have different bases?

Yes, it is possible for two exponential terms to be congruent to 7 even if they have different bases. For example, 3^4 is congruent to 5^2 mod 7, which means that both terms have the same remainder when divided by 7.

4. Can I prove the congruence of two exponential terms using logarithms?

Yes, you can use logarithms to prove the congruence of two exponential terms. The logarithm of a number to a certain base is defined as the power to which the base must be raised to get that number. Therefore, if log_a(x) is congruent to log_b(y) mod 7, then a^(log_a(x)) is congruent to b^(log_b(y)) mod 7, which simplifies to x is congruent to y mod 7.

5. Are there any other methods for proving the congruence of two exponential terms?

Yes, there are other methods for proving the congruence of two exponential terms. One method is to use the Chinese Remainder Theorem, which states that if two numbers are congruent to the same number mod m and n respectively, then they must also be congruent mod mn. Another method is to use Fermat's Little Theorem, which states that if p is a prime number and a is any integer not divisible by p, then a^(p-1) is congruent to 1 mod p.