General relation for a pattern?

In summary, the pattern is 6, (6)(10), (6)(10)(14), (6)(10)(14)(18), ... and the general term is 2^n\frac{(2n+1)!}{2^n(n)!}=\frac{(2n+1)!}{n!}.
BrettJimison

Homework Statement

hello all,

I'm in the middle of solving a d.e using the series method. I have come across a weird pattern in part of my solution that I'm confused about:

6, (6)(10),(6)(10)(14),(6)(10)(14)(18),...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see its 2(3), 2(3)*2(5), 2(3)*2(5)*2(7)... But I'm a little confused on what the nth term is. Any help?

Also I can see if we start at n=2, (4n-2),(4n-2)(4n-6),(4n-2)(4n-6)(4n-10),... But does anyone know the general term? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
BrettJimison said:

Homework Statement

hello all,

I'm in the middle of solving a d.e using the series method. I have come across a weird pattern in part of my solution that I'm confused about:

6, (6)(10),(6)(10)(14),(6)(10)(14)(18),...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can see its 2(3), 2(3)*2(5), 2(3)*2(5)*2(7)... But I'm a little confused on what the nth term is. Any help?

Also I can see if we start at n=2, (4n-2),(4n-2)(4n-6),(4n-2)(4n-6)(4n-10),... But does anyone know the general term? Thanks!

You could write a general term with the double factorial notation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_factorial

You don't really need to use a special notation like the "double factorial".

I presume you see that it is [(2)(3)][(2)(5)][(2)(7)]...[(2)(2n+1)]. So, first, we have n "2"s : [itex]2^n[/itex].

Then we have (3)(5)(7)(9)...(2n+1), the product of n consecutive odd numbers. We can write that as
[tex]\frac{2(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)(9)...(2n)(2n+1)}{2(4)(6)(8)...(2n)}[/tex]
The numerator is (2n+1)!. We can write the denominator as [itex][2(1)][2(2)][2(3)][2(4)]...[2(n)]= 2^n n![/itex].

Likes mfb
HallsofIvy said:
You don't really need to use a special notation like the "double factorial".

I presume you see that it is [(2)(3)][(2)(5)][(2)(7)]...[(2)(2n+1)]. So, first, we have n "2"s : [itex]2^n[/itex].

Then we have (3)(5)(7)(9)...(2n+1), the product of n consecutive odd numbers. We can write that as
[tex]\frac{2(3)(4)(5)(6)(7)(8)(9)...(2n)(2n+1)}{2(4)(6)(8)...(2n)}[/tex]
The numerator is (2n+1)!. We can write the denominator as [itex][2(1)][2(2)][2(3)][2(4)]...[2(n)]= 2^n n![/itex].
Thanks for the response hallsofivy,

I'm a little confused: the pattern is 6 , (6)(10) , (6)(10)(14) , (6)(10)(14)(18) , ...

And yes it is also 2(3) , 2(3)*2(5) , 2(3)*2(5)*2(7) ect... But writing the General term as (2n+1)!/2^n(n)! Doesn't fit the pattern...

You are missing the [itex]2^n[/itex] in the numerator. You should have
[tex]2^n\frac{(2n+1)!}{2^n n!}= \frac{(2n+1)!}{n!}[/tex]

Likes BrettJimison
HallsofIvy said:
You are missing the [itex]2^n[/itex] in the numerator. You should have
[tex]2^n\frac{(2n+1)!}{2^n n!}= \frac{(2n+1)!}{n!}[/tex]
Ahhh! It's so easy! Thanks, for some reason I just couldn't get it...thanks a lot! It's been a while since I've thought about infinite series

FAQ: General relation for a pattern?

1. What is a general relation for a pattern?

The general relation for a pattern refers to the mathematical formula or equation that describes the relationship between the different elements or variables in a pattern. It helps to explain how the pattern is constructed or how it changes over time.

2. Why is it important to find the general relation for a pattern?

Finding the general relation for a pattern is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of the pattern. It can also help us make connections between different patterns and identify underlying principles or rules.

3. How do you determine the general relation for a pattern?

To determine the general relation for a pattern, you need to first identify the variables involved and observe how they change in relation to each other. Then, you can use algebraic or statistical methods to find the mathematical equation that best describes the pattern.

4. Can the general relation for a pattern be applied to all patterns?

The general relation for a pattern can be applied to many different types of patterns, including numerical, geometric, and spatial patterns. However, some patterns may not follow a specific mathematical equation or may require more complex models to describe them.

5. How can the general relation for a pattern be used in real-world applications?

The general relation for a pattern has many practical applications, such as in data analysis, forecasting, and problem-solving. It can also help us understand and predict natural phenomena, such as weather patterns or population growth. In technology, the general relation for a pattern is used to create algorithms and programs that can process and analyze patterns.