Proving 45 degrees is optimal value for greatest horizontal range

In summary, the best way to prove that a projectile launched at 45 degrees above horizontal gives the greatest horizontal displacement is by using algebra and substitution. This can be done by writing down the equations for the position of the projectile and using the quadratic formula and trig identities. By solving for the time when the projectile reaches the ground, it can be determined that the maximum range is achieved when the angle of projection is 45 degrees. This is the most efficient method for proving this concept.
fengwater
I'm still doing grade 12 physics, so my physics knowledge is VERY limited.

So I have a question about proving that a projectile launched 45 degrees above horizontal gives the greatest horizontal displacement.

I have to ideas to go about proving this:

1. Subbing Equations
I have currently made 2 equations that I can think of:
Vertical Component: 0=V[tex]_{}y1[/tex]-4.9t[tex]^{}2[/tex]
Horizontal Component: t=d[tex]_{}x[/tex]/V[tex]_{}x1[/tex]

I subbed equation 2 into equation 1. However, I got stuck at 0=V[tex]_{}y1[/tex]V[tex]_{}1x[/tex]-4.9d[tex]_{}x[/tex]
Where's the third equation?

2. Finding the horizontal displacement of 44 degrees and 46 degrees, and compare their expected lower horizontal displacement to that of 45 degrees. Or basically just find the time the projectile is moving, just solving for t when vertical displacement is 0.

Considering my grade level, is solution 1 possible, or should I use solution 2?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Using substitution and algebra is the best way for a proof.

Start by writing down the equations for the position of the projectile. For simplicity let the projectile start at the origin.

The most advanced thing you need to know to do the algebraic proof is the quadratic formula and a knowledge of trig identities.

Last edited:
You should always solve the projectile problem like this :

Let it be projected at angle 'x' with horizontal. Then at instantaneous time 't'.
Let initial velocity be 'a'. :-

Along X- Direction

u=acosx
a=0
v=acosx
s=acosxt

Along Y- Direction

u=asinx
a= -g
v=asinx-gt
s=asinxt-1/2gt2

Now when it reaches the ground again after projectile it's Y-coordinate will be zero.
i.e displacement along y - axis is zero.

so,

asinxt-1/2gt2=0
asinx=1/2gt
t=2asinx/g

Now range is basically your displacement along X-direction.
putting the value of t in acosxt.

Range = a22cosxsinx/g
= a2sin2x/g

Now for maximum range sin2x should be maximum i.e. =1
sin2x=1
sin2x=sin90
2x=90
x=45
so , for maximum range x = 45

1. What is the significance of proving 45 degrees as the optimal angle for greatest horizontal range?

The angle of 45 degrees is considered to be the optimal angle for achieving the greatest horizontal range because it allows for the most efficient use of energy and minimizes the effects of air resistance. This is important in fields such as physics and engineering, as well as in practical applications such as sports and transportation.

2. How is this value determined and proven?

The optimal angle of 45 degrees is determined through mathematical calculations and experimental data. It involves considering factors such as the force of gravity, the initial velocity of the object, and the effects of air resistance. By analyzing these factors, it can be shown that 45 degrees is the angle that results in the furthest horizontal distance traveled.

3. Are there any exceptions to this rule?

In most cases, 45 degrees is the optimal angle for achieving the greatest horizontal range. However, there may be certain factors that can affect this, such as wind speed and direction, the shape and weight of the object, and the surface on which it is traveling. In these cases, the optimal angle may vary slightly from 45 degrees.

4. How does this concept apply to real-life situations?

The concept of 45 degrees as the optimal angle for greatest horizontal range has many practical applications. For example, in sports such as basketball or soccer, players often aim for a 45-degree angle when shooting or kicking the ball to achieve the furthest distance. In engineering and architecture, this angle may be considered when designing structures or calculating the trajectory of projectiles.

5. Are there any other angles that can achieve the same horizontal range?

While 45 degrees is considered the most efficient angle, there are other angles that can also achieve the same horizontal range. These angles are known as complementary angles, such as 60 degrees and 30 degrees. However, these angles may require more energy or result in more air resistance compared to the 45-degree angle.