1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a function is one-to-one

1. Nov 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the function f: Q ---> R, f(a/b) = (2^a)(3^b) is one to one, assuming that gcd(a,b) = 1, that is the fraction a/b is reduced.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know f is one to one if it never maps 2 different elements to the same place, i.e. f(a) does not equal f(b) whenever a does not equal b.

I have tried looking at how other problems are proved to be one to one and am attempting to do it in a similar way:

Suppose f(a/b) = f(c/d)
    then (2^a)(3^b) = (2^c)(3^d)

I'm not sure what to do though. I don't think I'm doing this right. Please help me with this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You're on the right track. Now suppose a/b is not equal to c/d. Can (2^a)(3^b) = (2^c)(3^d) still be the case?

4. Nov 26, 2007 #3
    Well if a/b does not equal c/d then the equality does not hold. I think that a/b must equal c/d but I'm not sure how to really write it formally as a proof. Also,I just am not sure that this problem is so simple though. What does gcd(a,b) = 1 have to do with the problem?

Nevermind, I got it now. Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2007
  5. Nov 27, 2007 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

gcd(a,b)=1 iff the fraction is reduced (i.e. there is no common multiple of a and b that you can cancel).

Note that 2 and 3 are primes, and the fundamental theorem of arithmetic tells us something about primes being multiplied together.

As an aside, this is quite a nice way of showing the set of rationals is countable, as 2a and 3b are in fact integers

6. Nov 27, 2007 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not well defined. For example:
    6 = f(1/1) = f(-1/-1) = 1/6

7. Nov 27, 2007 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's a good point... usually for stuff like this it's assumed the denominator is positive I think

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?