1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a function is well defined and continuous

1. Feb 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]f_{n}(x)=\frac{-x^2+2x-2x/n+n-1+2/n-1/n^2}{(n ln(n))^2}[/itex]

Prove [itex]f(x) = \sum^{\infty}_{n=1} f_{n}(x)[/itex] is well defined and continuous on the interval [0,1].

2. Relevant equations

In a complete normed space, if [itex]\sum x_{k}[/itex]converges absolutely, then it converges.

3. The attempt at a solution

Working in a complete normed space [itex](C[0,1], || . ||_{∞})[/itex],

consider the real series [itex]\sum^{∞}_{n=1}||f_{n}||_{∞}=\sum^{∞}_{n=1} sup <f_{n}(x) : x\in[0,1]> [/itex]

It just remains to show that [itex]\sum^{∞}_{n=1}|f_{n}|[/itex] converges, but I can't seem to figure out how. Could anyone help me out here?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

some ideas i haven't tried them yet though... how about first separating n into some manageable pieces...

first evaluate the convergence of the terms only dependent on n, then consider the terms with an x and have a think about what x value will maximize that sum.

then if it's tough to pull it together you may want to consider some properties of the norm.

then I think you may need more for the continuous part and move to the epsilon deltas

4. Feb 20, 2012 #3
    Rather than dealing with all the terms separately, I've been trying to just apply a simple comparison test (followed by an integral test) to prove its convergence, but I could only come up with divergent cases.

I'm starting to think if there is an error with this question; does this series converge if it starts at n=1?

5. Feb 21, 2012 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

yeah as 1/ln(1)^2 is undefined

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook