1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving a group of rotaions is cyclic

1. Nov 13, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let G be a finite group of rotation of the plane about the origin. Prove that G is cyclic.

3. The attempt at a solution

What it means to be cyclic is that every element of the group can be written as a^n for some integer n.

I can see this is true if i take some examples. i.e. {0,pi/2, pi, 3pi/2} is cleraly cyclic. but i cant for the life of me figure out how to prove this.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are lots of ways to prove this depending on what tools you happen to have around. The group must have a smallest nonzero rotation r. All multiples of r must also be in the group. That makes a nice cyclic subgroup, right? If it's noncyclic there must be an element s which is not a multiple of r. Now what?

4. Nov 13, 2008 #3
    By division algorithm s= qr+ m . Im guessing we have to somehow show that m=0? Or show that if s is in a group then r is not.

dont know how to do that.

5. Nov 13, 2008 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

s=qr+m. If r is in the group and s is in the group, s-qr=m is in the group too.

The notation is a little bit non-rigorous here, but I think it gets the idea across

6. Nov 13, 2008 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The idea is that the rotation s is between nr and (n+1)r for some n. Then, yes, s-nr must be in the group. Which is bigger s-nr or r? Then remember we picked r to be the smallest nonzero rotation.

7. Nov 13, 2008 #6
    s-nr is smaller than r.

because we defined s to be between nr and nr+r. so s is at most (by most i mean slightly less than) nr+r. so s<nr+r ==> s-nr<r.

since we chose r to be the smallest non zero rotation we have a contradiction. But i have no clue what this contradiction tells us.

8. Nov 13, 2008 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It contradicts that the group is finite. An infinite group of group of rotations doesn't need to have a smallest member. And doesn't need to be cyclic.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?