Proving a multivariate normal distribution by the moment generating function

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of moment generating functions to prove the joint distribution of ##\bar{X},X_i-\bar{X},i=1,...,n## is multivariate normal. However, the speaker is struggling to obtain a moment generating function for ##E(e^{-\frac{t}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n X_i})## and is seeking help. The other participant suggests using the convolution of two independent normal random variables and applying the fact that the joint distribution of normal random variables is multivariate normal. The speaker expresses their need to prove it mathematically and shares a link with further information. The other participant suggests breaking the argument into lemmas and using induction to prove the
Torgny
upload_2017-10-26_15-39-38.png

I have proved (8.1). However I am trying to prove that

##\bar{X},X_i-\bar{X},i=1,...,n## has a joint distribution that is multivariate normal. I am trying to prove it by looking at the moment generating function:

##E(e^{t(X_i-\bar{X})}=E(e^{tX_i})E(e^{-\frac{t}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n X_i})##

I am trying to use the moment generating function because there is only one moment generating function for a given probability distribution and this also holds for multivariate distributions. But I fail at obtaining a moment generating function. The mgf to ##E(e^{tX_i})## is simply the mgf to the normal distribution but I can't get a moment generating function to ##E(e^{-\frac{t}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n X_i})## which from the answer in the text i guess should be a multivariate normal distribution.

Can someone help out?

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-26_15-39-38.png
    upload_2017-10-26_15-39-38.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 2,322
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks! But what do I do with:

##-\frac{1}{n}##
in

##E(e^{tX_i})E(e^{-\frac{t}{n}\sum_{i=1}^n X_i})##

I can see that the rest follows the relation:

##\varphi_{X+Y}=\varphi_{X}\varphi_{Y}##

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not quite sure of your motivation for what you're trying to do here. Moment generating functions can be useful, but frequently are not needed -- this is one of those cases.

- - - -
It seems to me there are only two building blocks. 1.) "since the sum of independent normal random r.v.'s is a normal r.v." This holds -- the sum of finitely many independent normal rvs is normal rv. It is enough to prove that the convolution of two independent normals is a normal, and induct from there. Moment generating functions aren't needed here.

2.) the fact that the joint distribution of normal r.v.'s is a multivariate normal r.v.

If you have proven 1, apply it such that ##Y_i := X_i - \overline{X}## must be a normal r.v. Why? Because it is the convolution of ##X_i## with 1 piece (with ##\frac{1}{n}## weighting) that is strictly dependent on ##X_i## -- and in fact is a negative scaled down, version of ##X_i##. This has the effect of rescaling ##X_i##, but its still a normal r.v.. Then the resulting##X_i## is convolved with ##(n-1)## other independent normals (though each value of said n-1 normals is rescaled by -1). So repeatedly apply part 1 here, and the result is a normal r.v. Then apply 2.

StoneTemplePython said:
I'm not quite sure of your motivation for what you're trying to do here. Moment generating functions can be useful, but frequently are not needed -- this is one of those cases.

- - - -
It seems to me there are only two building blocks.1.) "since the sum of independent normal random r.v.'s is a normal r.v." This holds -- the sum of finitely many independent normal rvs is normal rv. It is enough to prove that the convolution of two independent normals is a normal, and induct from there. Moment generating functions aren't needed here.

2.) the fact that the joint distribution of normal r.v.'s is a multivariate normal r.v.

If you have proven 1, apply it such that ##Y_i := X_i - \overline{X}## must be a normal r.v. Why? Because it is the convolution of ##X_i## with 1 piece (with ##\frac{1}{n}## weighting) that is strictly dependent on ##X_i## -- and in fact is a negative scaled down, version of ##X_i##. This has the effect of rescaling ##X_i##, but its still a normal r.v.. Then the resulting##X_i## is convolved with ##(n-1)## other independent normals (though each value of said n-1 normals is rescaled by -1). So repeatedly apply part 1 here, and the result is a normal r.v.Then apply 2.
Thanks for the insight. However I believe that I will not get an accepted answer unless I prove it mathematically. For 1) I can prove it as noted above like this:

##E(e^{X+Y})=E(e^X)E(e^Y)##

But I don't know how to prove the things you adress afterwards with equations.

Torgny said:
Thanks for the insight. However I believe that I will not get an accepted answer unless I prove it mathematically. For 1) I can prove it as noted above like this:

##E(e^{X+Y})=E(e^X)E(e^Y)##

But I don't know how to prove the things you adress afterwards with equations.

They also show the convolution of two normal r.v.'s directly here:

https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electri...s-convolution-correlation/MIT6_041F10_L11.pdf

(MIT is not very big on moment generating functions. )
- - - -

To be clear the outline I gave was mathematical. You'd just need to recut it into a couple of lemmas, then carefully use induction in the main argument. The underlying idea that comes up over and over (in both part 1 and part 2) is that convolving a random variable with a scaled down version of itself is just a rescaling. And convolving a normal r.v. with an independent normal r.v. results in a normal r.v.

There would only be one or two equations here -- and it has a linear algebra flair in that everything we're interested in is written as a linear combination of a scaled version of identical random normals (i.e. rescaling) and independent normals. It's actually a very simple idea.

- - - -
You seem to be quite keen on using MGFs which is not how I'd look at this. Good luck.

1. What is a multivariate normal distribution?

A multivariate normal distribution is a probability distribution that describes the behavior of multiple random variables that are normally distributed. It is characterized by its mean vector and covariance matrix.

2. What is the moment generating function?

The moment generating function is a mathematical function that generates the moments of a probability distribution. It is defined as the expected value of the exponential function of the random variable.

3. How is the multivariate normal distribution proved using the moment generating function?

The proof involves using the moment generating function to derive the moments of a multivariate normal distribution. Then, by comparing the moments to the known moments of a normal distribution, it can be shown that the distribution is indeed multivariate normal.

4. What are the assumptions for proving a multivariate normal distribution by the moment generating function?

The assumptions include the random variables being normally distributed, the mean vector and covariance matrix being finite, and the random variables being independent of each other.

5. Why is proving a multivariate normal distribution important?

The multivariate normal distribution is widely used in statistics and data analysis, as it allows for the modeling of complex data and the calculation of probabilities for multiple variables. Proving its existence and properties using the moment generating function provides a solid mathematical foundation for its use in various applications.