Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving an identity and some interesting maths stuff

1. Oct 27, 2014 #1
    So, I would like to prove that

[tex]\gamma^{\mu_{1}...\mu_{r}}=(-)^{r(r-1)/2}\gamma^{\mu_{r}...\mu_{1}}[/tex]

where the matrix gamma is a totally antisymmetric matrix defined as [itex]\gamma^{\mu_{1}...\mu_{r}}=\gamma^{[\mu_{1}}\gamma^{\mu_{2}}...\gamma^{\mu_{r}]}[/itex]

What I have done is to prove that

[tex]\gamma^{\mu_{1}...\mu_{r}}=(-)^{(r-1)+(r-2)+...+1}\gamma^{\mu_{r}...\mu_{1}}[/tex]

by simply commuting all the matrices past each other until their order is reversed (picking up just the minus sign as they are antisymmetrised, so we can take [itex]\mu_{i}\neq\mu_{j}[/itex] for [itex]i\neq j[/itex]).

What's a nice way to see that [itex](r-1)+(r-2)+...+1=r(r-1)/2[/itex]? It works for some values of r, which one can see by substituting in.

ALSO - PART 2

I am aware of [itex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}n=\frac{x(x+1)}{2}=-\frac{1}{12}[/itex],

but I found out that
    [tex]\int^{1}_{0}\frac{x(x-1)}{2}dx=-\frac{1}{12}[/tex]

Any comments or clarifications on this relationship between [itex]\frac{x(x-1)}{2}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{x(x+1)}{2}[/itex].

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2014 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook