Proving Compactness of a Topological Group Using Subgroups and Quotient Spaces

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 5K views
Lie
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
Hello!

Could anyone help me to resolve the impasse below?

Th: Let G be a topological group and H subgroup of G. If H and G/H (quotient space of G by H) are compact, then G itself is compact.

Proof: Since H is compact, the the natural mapping g of G onto G/H is a closed mapping. Therefore if a family S of closed subsets of G has the finite intersection property, then so does {g(F): F in S}. So that G/H is compact, then [tex]\bigcap_{F \in S} g(F) \neq \varnothing .[/tex] But as I conclude that [tex]\bigcap_{F \in S} F \neq \varnothing \; ?[/tex]
If necessary we also know that G/H is Haudorff space.

Thankful! :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
what if the quotient splits the group? I.e. what if G is siomorphic to H x G/H?

Then in general, just off the top of my head, maybe this is true locally, i.e. maybe the map G-->G/H is a locally trivial fibration
 
mathwonk said:
what if the quotient splits the group? I.e. what if G is siomorphic to H x G/H?

No!

mathwonk said:
Then in general, just off the top of my head, maybe this is true locally, i.e. maybe the map G-->G/H is a locally trivial fibration

I don't understand!
 
mathwonk said:
assume it splits. then could you do it?

Can I do that G/H is not a group? Remember that H is only one subgroup. It is not normal!
 
Hello Lie! :smile:

Lie said:
Since H is compact, the the natural mapping g of G onto G/H is a closed mapping.

I wonder how you know this, don't you need some kind of of Hausdorff property for this?

EDIT: never mind about this, you don't need Hausdorff.

Anyway, the following could help you:

Definition: We call f a proper map if it is continuous, closed, surjective and if every [itex]f^{-1}(y)[/itex] is compact (=we say that the fibers are compact).

Theorem: If [itex]f:X\rightarrow Y[/itex] is proper and if Y is compact, then X is compact.

Proof: Note that closedness of f is equivalent with:

For all open U containing [itex]f^{-1}(y)[/itex], there exists an open neighbourhood W of y, such that [itex]f^{-1}(W)\subseteq U[/itex].
​

This equivalence is easy to see by taking [itex]W=Y\setminus f(X\setminus U)[/itex].

So, now take an open cover of X. For each y in Y, we know that [itex]f^{-1}(y)[/itex] is non-empty and compact and thus covered by a finite number of our covers. Let [itex]U_{y,1},...,U_{y_n}[/itex] be the elements of our cover. Then by the above, there exist [itex]W_{y,i}[/itex] such that

[tex]f^{-1}(W_{y,i})\subseteq U_{y,i}[/tex]

This forms an open cover of Y and thus we can take an finite subcover. This finite subcover is the one we're looking for...
 
micromass said:
Hello Lie! :smile:

I wonder how you know this, don't you need some kind of of Hausdorff property for this?

EDIT: never mind about this, you don't need Hausdorff.

OK! I don't really need Hausdorff.

micromass said:
Anyway, the following could help you:

Definition: We call f a proper map if it is continuous, closed, surjective and if every [itex]f^{-1}(y)[/itex] is compact (=we say that the fibers are compact).

The natural mapping g of G onto G/H is a closed mapping, continuous, surjective and every [itex]g^{-1}(xH)[/itex] is closed. Why it's proper?

micromass said:
Theorem: If [itex]f\colon X \to Y[/itex] is proper and if Y is compact, then X is compact.

This result is interesting, but I would try to use my argument above.

Thankful! :)
 
Last edited:
Lie;3337089The natural mapping g of G onto G/H is a closed mapping said:
g^{-1}(xH)[/itex] is closed.

We have [itex]g^{-1}([x])=xH[/itex]. Now H is compact, and thus every translation xH of H is compact as well.

This result is interesting, but I would try to use my argument above.

Very well, but I doubt it's going to work.:frown:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
We have [itex]g^{-1}([x])=xH[/itex]. Now H is compact, and thus every translation xH of H is compact as well.
Indeed! :)

micromass said:
Very well, but I doubt it's going to work.:frown:

Tip of Hewitt & Ross! ;)
 
Lie said:
Tip of Hewitt & Ross! ;)

What about this: Take [itex](F)_{F\in S}[/itex] with the fip. I now form all finite unions of this collection and I get a collection [itex](F^\prime)_{F^\prime\in S^\prime}[/itex]. Clearly this has the fip and the intersection of this collection is nonempty if and only if the original collection is nonempty.

By compactness we know that

[tex]\bigcap_{F^\prime\in S^\prime}{g(F^\prime)}[/tex]

is nonempty, thus take an [x] in it. By compactness of xH it follows that of [itex]\bigcap_{F^\prime\in S^\prime}{F^\prime}=\emptyset[/itex], then there exist a finite number whose intersection is empty. But because we have chosen the [itex]F^\prime[/itex] to be closed under unions, it follows that [itex]Hx\cap F^\prime=\emptyset[/itex] for some [itex]F^\prime[/itex], but then g(Hx)=[x] is not an element of

[tex]\bigcap_{F^\prime\in S^\prime}{g(F^\prime)}[/tex]

contradiction...

Hope I didn't make any silly mistakes here...
 
micromass said:
What about this: Take [itex](F)_{F\in S}[/itex] with the fip. I now form all finite unions of this collection and I get a collection [itex](F^\prime)_{F^\prime\in S^\prime}[/itex]. Clearly this has the fip and the intersection of this collection is nonempty if and only if the original collection is nonempty.

By compactness we know that

[tex]\bigcap_{F^\prime\in S^\prime}{g(F^\prime)}[/tex]

is nonempty, thus take an [x] in it. By compactness of xH it follows that of [itex]\bigcap_{F^\prime\in S^\prime}{F^\prime}=\emptyset[/itex], then there exist a finite number whose intersection is empty. But because we have chosen the [itex]F^\prime[/itex] to be closed under unions, it follows that [itex]Hx\cap F^\prime=\emptyset[/itex] for some [itex]F^\prime[/itex], but then g(Hx)=[x] is not an element of

[tex]\bigcap_{F^\prime\in S^\prime}{g(F^\prime)}[/tex]

contradiction...

Hope I didn't make any silly mistakes here...

Excuse me! I was very busy lately and I could not move from here. Not found any error! Thank very much. :)