Proving complex exponentials are orthogonal.

Thus, the integral from -∞ to ∞ will not converge and therefore, the value is undefined. In summary, the integral ∫(e^iax)(e^ibx)dx from minus infinity to infinity is undefined and does not converge to zero.
eas123
I was wondering how you prove that ∫(e^iax)(e^ibx)dx from minus infinity to infinity is zero. When I try to evaluate this in the usual way, the result is undefined.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think the result should be 0? I think that's only the case if your integral ranges from ##0## to ##2\pi## (or similar) and not on entire ##\mathbb{R}##.

eas123 said:
I was wondering how you prove that ∫(e^iax)(e^ibx)dx from minus infinity to infinity is zero. When I try to evaluate this in the usual way, the result is undefined.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Consider the following function:

##\displaystyle g(t)= \int_0^t e^{iax}e^{ibx}dx\\ \
\\ \quad\ \ \ \displaystyle =\int_0^t e^{i(a+b)x}dx
##

If ##\ a+b=0\,,\ ## then ##\ g(t)=t\ .##

So that ##\lim_{t\to\,\infty}g(t)=\infty\ .##​

Otherwise, ##\displaystyle \ g(t)=\frac{-i}{a+b}e^{i(a+b)t} ##
##\displaystyle\quad\quad\quad\quad
=\frac{1}{a+b}\left(\sin((a+b)t)-i\cos((a+b)t)
\right)\ .##

So that as t→∞, g(t) oscillates with constant amplitude, 1/(a+b).​

1. What is the definition of complex exponentials?

Complex exponentials are mathematical functions of the form e^ix, where i is the imaginary unit and x is a real number. They can also be written as cos(x) + i*sin(x), where cos(x) and sin(x) are trigonometric functions.

2. What does it mean for complex exponentials to be orthogonal?

Orthogonality in this context means that when two complex exponentials are multiplied together and integrated over a specific interval, the result is 0. In other words, the complex exponentials are perpendicular to each other in a mathematical sense.

3. Why is proving orthogonality important in complex exponentials?

Proving orthogonality is important because it allows us to use complex exponentials as a basis for representing functions. This is useful in many areas of mathematics, such as Fourier analysis, signal processing, and differential equations.

4. What is the process for proving complex exponentials are orthogonal?

The process involves taking the inner product of two complex exponentials, e^ix and e^iy, integrating over a specific interval, and using trigonometric identities to simplify the result. If the final result is 0, then the complex exponentials are orthogonal.

5. Can complex exponentials be proven to be orthogonal in higher dimensions?

Yes, the process for proving orthogonality in higher dimensions is similar to that in one dimension. The main difference is that instead of integrating over a single interval, multiple integrals are used over different intervals for each dimension.