Proving convergence of factorial w/o Ratio Test

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
mvpshaq32
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Determine whether 1/n! diverges or converges.
So far, we have only learned the comparison tests, p-series, geometric series, divergence test, and integral test, so I can only use these tests to prove it.


Homework Equations



N/a

The Attempt at a Solution



I thought about using limit comparison with my b_n=1/n^n, but I can't determine if that converges or not, so I don't know what to do.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you choose [itex]b_n = 1/n^n[/itex]? Why not a simpler series that you know converges or diverges?
 
HallsofIvy said:
It should be clear that for n> 3, n^2> n!.

I think you meant 2^n < n! ? Easy typo to make.

Oops, it's 2^(n-1) < n!
 
It's monotonic, so if you show that it is bounded, you're in business. Now by the comparison test, we have n!>n^2 for sufficiently large n, so take reciprocals and go from there.