Proving Epsilon-Delta Inequalities for Limits of Functions

  • Thread starter Thread starter Turtle1991
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inequality
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Turtle1991
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Show that, if [tex]0<\delta<1[/tex] and [tex]|x-3|<\delta[/tex], then [tex]|x^{2}-9|<7\delta[/tex]



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I know that I need to transform one of the inequalities into the form of the other to prove it, but I don't see how. I can plug in values and of course it works since the limit of x^2 as x approaches 3 is 9, but I don't see how to show it algebraically. Please help
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
|x²-9| = |x+3||x-3|<|x+3|d

From there, how can you use the triangle inequality and the hypothesis of |x-3|<d and 0<d<1 to get the result?
 
Note that if |x-3|< [itex]\delta[/itex] and and [itex]\delta[/itex]< 1, then |x-3|< 1 so -1< x-3< 1. What does that tell you about x+ 3 and |x+3|?