1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving exp function is bounded and not extended continuously.

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The function

exp[ (x2 + y2 - xy)/(x2 + y2) ] = f(x,y)

is continuous on the open first quadrant.

Prove it is bounded there.

Prove f cannot be extended continuously to the closed first quadrant.

3. The attempt at a solution

Since f is a real-valued function defined and continuous on a compact set (open first quadrant...I think...), then f is bounded..? So I have to show that the open first quadrant is a compact set maybe?

I think I have to show that f is not uniformly continuous on the closed first quadrant. So, there exists an epsilon > 0 where a number d >0 cannot be found such that |f(p) - f(q)| < epsilon whenever p and q are in the closed first quadrant and |p-q|<d.

I have so much trouble starting my proofs properly. I don't know how to set them up at the beginning, even when I know the rough outline.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2
    You need to check your definition of compact.

can you bound the rational function on the open first quadrant?

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Try working with this expression:
    [tex]\frac{x^2 + y^2 - xy}{x^2 + y^2}[/tex]
    I can't give you much more of a hint than that without essentially doing the problem.

5. Oct 22, 2009 #4
    |(x2 + y2 - xy)/(x2 + y2)| = |(r2 - rcosArsinA)/r2)| = |1-cosAsinA| which is bounded by 0 and 1

So f(x,y) is bounded by 1 and e.

Is it enough to show that? Or do I need to use definition of limits...

Also, for the second part, it cannot be extended because x=0=y is a singularity. Does it suffice just to say that or does that not count as a full proof?

6. Oct 22, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You don't need to convert to polar form. How did you conclude that f(x, y) is bounded by 1 and e? Are you saying that all values of f(x, y) on the open first quadrant are between 1 and e? That's not true.

Think division.

7. Oct 22, 2009 #6
    Ok let me try this again...

|(x2 + y2 - xy)/(x2 + y2)|<or= 1 because you are subtracting xy from the top so something smaller divided by something larger is a fraction less than one.

Then, since the exponent is bounded by m=1, can you say f(x,y) is bounded by 0 and e, i.e. when you plug in 1 in the exponent you get e^1 = e?

For the second part, I THOUGHT I could use the discontinuity x=y=0 but since S is the open first quadrant, can I do that?

8. Oct 22, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I would be inclined to change to polar coordinates.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook