Proving ##\frac{n!}{r(n-r)!}## Distinct r-Cycles in $S_n$

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lee33
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Lee33
Messages
156
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In $S_n$, prove that there are ##\frac{n!}{r(n-r)!}## distinct r-cycles.

2. The attempt at a solution

I know there are n choose r ways to permute r out of n cycles thus ##\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}## but I don't know how they got ##\frac{n!}{r(n-r)!}##?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Lee33 said:

Homework Statement



In $S_n$, prove that there are ##\frac{n!}{r(n-r)!}## distinct r-cycles.

2. The attempt at a solution

I know there are n choose r ways to permute r out of n cycles thus ##\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}##

Two r-cycles are the same if their cycle notations are cyclic permutations of each other. Having chosen our objects, we can avoid such multiple counting by fixing one object to appear the beginning of all the r-cycles. Each permutation of the remaining [itex]r-1[/itex] objects will then generate a distinct r-cycle.