1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving functions in product space are measurable.

1. Dec 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a lot of questions that ask me to prove certain functions are measureable.

For example I have to show that given f:X→ ℝ is M - measurable and g:Y→ ℝ is N - measurable
    implies that fg is M×N measurable.

Another is prove that f = {1 when x=y, 0 else} is measurable on B[itex]_{[0,1]}[/itex]×P([0,1]) where B[itex]_{[0,1]}[/itex] is the borel sets on [0,1] with respect to lebesgue measure and the measure P([0,1]) is the counting measure (cardinality of a set in [0,1])

2. Relevant equations
    Don't know any.

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't have a clue what to do because I don't know any definition of measurable functions in a product space. I know the case for single measure spaces, If E[itex]\in[/itex]N and f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](E) [itex]\in[/itex] M, then f is (M,N) - measurable.

So for the first question all I know is that E[itex]\in[/itex]B[itex]_{ℝ}[/itex] and f[itex]^{-1}[/itex](E) [itex]\in[/itex] M, and F[itex]\in[/itex] B[itex]_{ℝ}[/itex] and g[itex]^{-1}[/itex](F) [itex]\in[/itex] N

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, but you are free to choose E=F here. What will the preimage of that be under (f, g)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook