Proving |H intersect K| = q for subgroup H and K in G of order pqr.

In summary, if |G| = pqr where p, q, and r are distinct primes, and H and K are subgroups of G with |H| = pq and |K| = qr, then |H intersect K| = q. This can be proven by letting one subgroup act on the other by translation and showing that all cosets of the form hK are different, leading to a contradiction if |H intersect K| = 1.
mykayla10

Homework Statement

Suppose |G| = pqr where p, q, and r are distinct primes. If H is a subgroup of G and K is a subgroup of G with |H| = pq and |K| = qr, then |H intersect K| = q.

Homework Equations

NA

The Attempt at a Solution

I have so far:
Let a be an element of H intersect K. Therefore, |a| divides |H| and divides |K|. Therefore, |a| divides pq and qr. Since p, q, and r are distinct primes, we know that the gcd( pq,qr)=q. Since |a| divides both pq and qr, |a| divides the gcd of these two, so |a| divides q. Since q is prime, |a|= 1 or q.

I am now stuck as to how to prove that |a| is not 1. If I do this, by process of elimination I have proven that |H intersects K|=q.

Physics news on Phys.org
let one subgroup act on the other by translation. i.e. show all the cosets of form hK with h in H are different. then think about that. i hope this helps. in general everything in group studying theory is done by these sorts of "actions".

is there any way I can eliminate |H intersect K|=1 by assuming it does and finding a contradiction? I am not sure I am at the ability level to do what you suggested.

What is Abstract Algebra Proof?

Abstract Algebra Proof is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebraic structures and their properties. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical techniques to prove theorems and propositions.

What are the basic concepts in Abstract Algebra Proof?

The basic concepts in Abstract Algebra Proof include groups, rings, fields, vector spaces, and modules. These structures have specific properties and rules that are used in proving mathematical statements.

What are the common methods used in Abstract Algebra Proof?

The common methods used in Abstract Algebra Proof include direct proof, proof by contradiction, proof by induction, and proof by construction. These methods involve using logical arguments and mathematical techniques to prove theorems and propositions.

What is the importance of Abstract Algebra Proof?

Abstract Algebra Proof is important because it helps in understanding and analyzing abstract mathematical structures. It also provides a rigorous and systematic approach to proving mathematical statements, which is essential in many areas of mathematics and science.

What are some tips for writing a successful Abstract Algebra Proof?

Some tips for writing a successful Abstract Algebra Proof include clearly defining the problem, using correct notation and terminology, providing a logical and organized argument, and checking for validity and completeness of the proof. It is also important to practice and gain familiarity with different proof techniques.