1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finite group with two prime factors

1. Nov 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to prove the following:

Let [itex]G[/itex] be a finite group and let [itex]\{p,q\}[/itex] be the set of primes dividing the order of [itex]G[/itex]. Show that [itex]PQ=QP[/itex] for any [itex]P[/itex] Sylow [itex]p[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]G[/itex] and [itex]Q[/itex] Sylow [itex]q[/itex]-subgroup of [itex]G[/itex]. Deduce that [itex]G=PQ[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    The set [itex]PQ=\{xy: x \in P \text{ and } y \in Q\}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that [itex]PQ=QP[/itex] means that I must prove [itex]PQ[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]G[/itex]. Let [itex]r[/itex], [itex]s[/itex] be elements of [itex]PQ[/itex]. Then [itex]r=x_{1}y_{1}[/itex] and [itex]s=x_{2}y_{2}[/itex].

Now [itex]rs^{-1}=x_{1}y_{1}(x_{2}y_{2})^{-1}=x_{1}y_{1}y_{2}^{-1}x_{2}^{-1}[/itex] but I am not sure whether this is an element of [itex]PQ[/itex] or not.

The second part by the following:
    [itex]|G|=|P||Q|=\frac{|P||Q|}{|P \cap Q|}=|PQ|[/itex] as [itex]P[/itex],[itex]Q[/itex] are Sylow for distinct primes of [itex]G[/itex] and [itex]P \cap Q=\{1\}[/itex]. This imply that [itex]G=PQ[/itex] as [itex]PQ[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]G[/itex] with the same order of [itex]G[/itex].

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What happens if you reverse the roles of P and Q?

4. Nov 20, 2012 #3
    In case [itex]PQ[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]G[/itex], then [itex]PQ=QP[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook