1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Hermiticity for the Product of Two Hermitian Operators

1. Nov 6, 2011 #1
    Hello everybody, long time reader, first time poster.
    I've searched the forums extensively (and what seems like 60% of the entire internet) for anything relevant and haven't found anything, please point me in the right direction if you've seen this before!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that even though Q and R are Hermitian operators, QR is only Hermitian if [Q,R]=0

2. Relevant equations
    [Q,R] = QR - RQ
    [Q,R]* = R*Q*-Q*R*

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've managed to prove, using the definition of Hermiticity that:

∫f(i(QR-RQ))g dτ = ∫g(i(QR-RQ))*f dτ

For two random functions, f and g, and i= Sqrt(-1)

But I'm not sure how relevant this is... I don't have a strong enough intuition to see whether or not this immediately proves anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2011 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For bounded linear operators acting on a separable Hilbert space, you have that, if [itex] Q=Q^{\dagger} ,\, R=R^{\dagger} [/itex], then [itex] (QR)^{\dagger} = R^{\dagger}Q^{\dagger} = RQ [/itex] and it is equal to QR, if Q and R commute. For unbounded operators, the proof is much more complicated, since the concept of commutativity is harder to define.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook