• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Show that the eigenvalues of a hermitian operator are real.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the eigenvalues of a hermitian operator are real. Show the expectation value of the hamiltonian is real.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

How do i approach this question? I can show that the operator is hermitian by showing that Tmn = (Tnm)* with no problems.

I know that the outcome of a measurement must be real, so;

<Q> = <Q>*

Do I need to apply a Hermitian operator to a wave function, and determine the expectation value and show that this satisfys the above condition?

And if so how do i show this in general?

*****UPDATED*****
I have found the following proof (Intro to quantum mechanics, griffiths)

Suppose Q^ f = q f, (1)

(f(x) is an eigenfunction of Q^ , with eigenvlaue q), and;

< f l Q^ f > = < Q^ f l f > (2)

then

q < f l f > = q* < f l f > (3)

as < f l f > cannot be zero, then q must equal q*, and thus the eigen values are real.

Is it possible to do this proof in intergral form? I kind of understand this, but any additional explanation of the step between (2) and (3) would be really helpfull.

How do I follow on from this to show that the expectation value must also be real?

I know this isn't hard but have managed to confuse myself, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Leo

Last edited:
Remind yourself what the integral form of expectation value is. Write it down, then remember what was taught in your class about these inner products. :) Should be simple from there.

dextercioby

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Do you have somewhere in your notes a definition for the expectation value of an observable represented by an operator A in an arbitrary state represented by a unit vector [itex] \psi [/itex] ? Use it and use the fact that, if A can be chosen for simplicity as only posessing a spectrum made up only of eigenvalues and A is self-adjoint, the Hilbert space A <lives> in admits a denumerable basis made up only from A's eigenvectors. On a second thought, trash that. It's an unnecessary complication. Just use the definition of expectation value and the one for hermiticity (or symmetry for the mathematically minded reader).

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving