Proving Hölder Continuity of f(u)=-1/(1+u)^2

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter incognitO
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Continuity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
incognitO
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hello guys, I am trying to prove that the function

[tex]f(u)=-\frac{1}{(1+u)^2}[/tex]
is Hölder continuous for [itex]-1<u \le 0[/itex] but I am stuck. Here is what I have done:

If [itex]|u_1-u_0| \le \delta[/itex] then

[tex]\left|-\frac{1}{(1+u_1)^2}+\frac{1}{(1+u_0)^2}\right| \le \left|\frac{(u_1+u_0)+2}{(1+u_1)^2(1+u_0)^2}\right||u_1-u_0| \le \frac{2|u_1-u_0|}{(1+u_1)^2(1+u_0)^2}[/tex]

and I don't know how to continue... Any suggestions?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If [itex]u_0[/itex] and [itex]u_1[/itex] are between -1 and 0, what can you say about the bounds on [itex]2/[(1+u_0)^2(1+u_1)]^2[/itex]?
 
I don't understand what you mean.

The worst behavior of the bound is when [itex]u_1[/itex] and [itex]u_0[/itex] are close to [itex]-1[/itex], but that should reflect in the bounding constant [itex]H(u_0)[/itex] right?

Let me put it this way (maybe I am saying stupid things but, that woulndt be new :P )

If [itex]-a <u \le 0[/itex] and [itex]0<a<1[/itex], then

[tex]|f(u_1)-f(u_0)| \le \frac{2}{(1-a)^4}|u_1-u_0|[/tex]

so it is Hölder as long as I am far from [itex]-1[/itex] right?

Now, what i have to do is instead of finding a bound depending on [itex]a[/itex] is find a bound depending on [itex]u_0[/itex] right?


EDIT:

In fact,

[tex]|f(u_1)-f(u_0)| \le \frac{2}{(1-a)^3}|u_1-u_0|.[/tex]
 
Last edited:
How about this...

[tex]|f(u_1)-f(u_0)| \le H(u_0,u_1) |u_1-u_0|[/tex]

where

[tex]H(u_0,u_1)=\left\{\begin{array}{cc} \dfrac{2}{(1+u_0)^3} & \hbox{if} \quad u_0<u_1 \\ & \\ \dfrac{2}{(1+u_1)^3} & \hbox{if} \quad u_0>u_1 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

So [itex]f(u) \in C^{0,1}[/itex] in [itex]-1<u_0,u_1 \le 0[/itex], just not uniformly Hölder...

If you were my analysis teacher, would you flunk me?
 
Last edited: