Proving Injectivity of the Map T: L^p(E) --> (L^q(E))* for 1<p<2 and q>=2

  • Thread starter Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Injective Map
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Messages
4,796
Reaction score
32
[SOLVED] Show map is injective

Homework Statement


Going crazy over this.

Let 1<p<2 and q>=2 be its conjugate exponent. I want to show that the map T: L^p(E) --> (L^q(E))*: x-->T(x) where

[tex]<T(x),y> = \int_Ex(t)y(t)dt[/tex]

is injective.

This amount to showing that if

[tex]\int_Ex(t)y(t)dt=0[/tex]

for all q-integrable functions y(t), then x(t)=0 (alsmost everywhere)

Should be easy but I've been at this for an hour and I don't see it!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Got it. Turns out that T is a linear isometry and every linear isometry is injective! (If T(y)=0, then ||T(y)|| = ||y|| = 0 ==> y=0).