Proving inverse of a 2 x 2 matrix is really an inverse

  • Thread starter Thread starter member 731016
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Inverse Matrix
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 2K views
member 731016
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
Please see below
For this,
1682211587003.png

Dose someone please know how ##ad - bc## and ##-cb + da## are equal to 1?

Many thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
They are not equal to 1. They are both divided by ad-bc, which gives 1.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PhDeezNutz and member 731016
This formula
$$
\begin{pmatrix}a&b\\c&d\end{pmatrix}^{-1}=\begin{pmatrix}d&-b\\-c&a\end{pmatrix} \cdot (ad-bc)^{-1}
$$

is so easy to memorize ...
  1. swap the diagonal entries ##a \leftrightarrow d##
  2. put a minus sign in front of the entries on the side diagonal ##b \rightarrow -b\, , \,c\rightarrow -c##
  3. and finally, divide by the determinant ##ad-bc.##
... that I use it whenever I have to solve a linear equation system in ##2## variables.

E.g. I wanted to write ##16 \cdot 24 ## and ##8\cdot 48## as ##(n-m)\cdot (n+m)## today. That goes:
\begin{align*}
\begin{pmatrix}1&-1\\1&1 \end{pmatrix}\cdot \begin{pmatrix}n\\m\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}16\\24 \end{pmatrix}
\end{align*}
Then by doing the procedure as described I get
\begin{align*}
\begin{pmatrix}n\\m \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}1&1\\-1&1 \end{pmatrix}\cdot \begin{pmatrix}16\\24 \end{pmatrix}\cdot \underbrace{(1\cdot 1- (-1\cdot 1))^{-1}}_{=1/2}=\begin{pmatrix}1&1\\-1&1 \end{pmatrix}\cdot \begin{pmatrix}8\\12 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}8+12\\ -8+12\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}20\\4 \end{pmatrix}
\end{align*}
Same with the other product ##8\cdot 48.##

I know this was an easy example and could probably just "be seen". But I'm better with algorithms than "seeing" things. Once you get used to that procedure it is really easy to follow. Especially if the examples are a bit more complicated.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: member 731016