1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving K+U is constant with tensor notation.

1. Sep 5, 2015 #1
    Suppose we have a system of particles that interact via conservative forces. I wish to prove that ##K+U## is a constant of the system with tensor analysis. Here is my procedure:

The Lagrangian is ##L=\frac{1}{2}m_i\dot{ r_i}^2-\Phi##

Lagrange's equations ##\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{r_i}}) = \frac{\partial L}{\partial r_i}## yield

##m_i\ddot{r_i}=-\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial r_i}##
    If the RHS is multiplied by ##\dot{r_i}## we get the chain rule for partial derivatives and get ##\frac{d}{dt}\Phi## which would be a crucial step in my derivation. However the LHS ends up with three indices which is not allowed. And that is the crux of my problem. How do I avoid this three indices to prove this property of classical mechanics?
    Namely
    ##m_i\dot{r_i}\ddot{r_i}=-\dot{r_i}\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial r_i}##

is not allowed.

Thanks.

I'm not terribly familiar with Lagrangian mechanics so I could've screwed up in this respect somewhere.

In case its not obvious what I'm trying to prove, it is that ##\frac{d}{dt}(K+U)=0## for n-particles interacting via conservative forces. I'm specifically looking for a derivation with tensor analysis. I know of other derivations.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2015 #2
    I've noticed ##m_i \ddot{r_i} = -\frac{\partial \Phi}{\partial r_i}## is wrong too. As the LHS is a scalar value.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook