Proving Non-Negativity and Monotonicity of Integrals over a Measure Space

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
EV33
Messages
192
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


My question is would I be allowed to say,
if lf+-[itex]\phi[/itex]l<ε/(2[itex]\mu[/itex](E)
then ∫E lf+-[itex]\phi[/itex]l<ε/2

Homework Equations



E is the set in which we are integrating over.
[itex]\mu[/itex] is the measure
[itex]\varphi[/itex] is a simple function
f+ is the non-negative part of the function f.

The Attempt at a Solution



I can't think of any reason that this wouldn't be true but my text is very vague in this chapter and so I am really not sure if this is an ok statement.



Thank you for your time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your conclusion is correct.

It's not hard to prove the following:
##\newcommand{dmu}{\operatorname{d}\!\mu}##

(a) If ##f\geq 0## a.e., then ##\int f\dmu \geq 0##.
(b) If ##f\geq g\geq 0## on E, then ##\int_E f\dmu\geq\int_E g\dmu##.

Hint: To prove (b), use (a) and the fact that the assumption implies that ##f\chi_E\geq g\chi_E## (everywhere, and therefore a.e.).