1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving roots using mean value theorem

1. Mar 21, 2006 #1
    Prove [tex] x^4 + 4x + c = 0 [/tex] has at most two real roots

My thinking is that to prove this I would assume that it has three real roots and look for a contradiction.

So I set [tex] f(x) = x^4 + 4x + c [/tex] and assume three real roots [tex] x_1, x_2, x_3 [/tex] such that [tex] f(x_1) = f(x_2) = f(x_3) = 0 [/tex]

By MVT I know that there must exist [tex] c_1 [/tex] on the interval [tex] (x_1, x_2) [/tex] such that [tex] f'(c_1) = 0 [/tex] and [tex] c_2 [/tex] on the interval [tex] (x_2, x_3) [/tex] such that [tex] f'(c_2) = 0 [/tex] and [tex] c_3 [/tex] on the interval [tex] (x_1, x_3) [/tex] such that [tex] f'(c_3) = 0 [/tex]

Now I'm a little confused. Do I try to find three values of c that will satisfy [tex] f'(x) = 4x^3 + 4 = 0 [/tex]? Only the value x = -1 would make this true, so is that my contradiction? That MVT predicts three values and only one exists?

Thanks
    Jeff

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Hint:
    How many STATIONARY points does the function have?

4. Mar 21, 2006 #3
    Only one, at (-1, 5+c). Since the derivative is negative to the left of that point and positive to the right, it must be a minimum of the function.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  5. Mar 21, 2006 #4

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume you orden x1 < x2 < x3. It could be the case that f'(c3) equals f'(c1) or f'(c2), so according to the MVT you'll get at least 2 points where f' is zero. You've shown there's only one, so the assumption of three distinct roots is false. Not sure why you want to find particular values of c to make f' zero. The value of c is irrelevant to the problem.

6. Mar 21, 2006 #5
    Thanks for the clarification

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?