1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving S2n-Sn is greater than a half in terms of the harmonic series

1. Oct 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let Sn = 1+[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex]...+[itex]\frac{1}{n}[/itex]. Show that |S2n-Sn|[itex]\geq[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I'm going to try and use induction

Base case let n=1

|S2n-Sn| = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

So true for base case

Assume true for case that n=m

So if n=m+1

|S2m+2-Sm+1|= |S2m+2-S2m+S2m-Sm+1|

Our induction assumption tells us that |S2m-S2m+2|[itex]\geq[/itex] [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and S2m+2-S2m = [itex]\frac{1}{2m+1}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{1}{2m+2}[/itex]> 0

Therefore |S2m+2-Sm|= |S2m+2-S2m+S2m-S2m+2|> [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

Have I used induction properly? Since I haven't used the base case at all the proof feels a little like I've made the assumption that it is true and then shown that it is true but at the same time I feel like I haven't broken any of the rules of induction. I'm I wrong?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't quite follow that last step. But since ##\{S_n\}## is an increasing sequence you have$$
    |(S_{2m+2}-S_{2m}) + (S_{2m}-S_{m+1})|=(S_{2m+2}-S_{2m}) + (S_{2m}-S_{m+1})\ge \frac 1 2$$since the quantities in parentheses are positive.

[Edit]: Ignore the highlighted paragraph. I wasn't completely awake. Look below:

But this problem hardly needs induction. Write out ##S_{2n}-S_n##, look at how many terms there are, and underestimate each by the smallest one.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  4. Oct 25, 2012 #3
    So there are n terms between S2n and Sn the smallest of which is [itex]\frac{1}{2n}[/itex]

It follows that |S2n - Sn|>n([itex]\frac{1}{2n}[/itex] ) =[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]

That is frustratingly simple. I feel silly but thanks a lot.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook