[L'Hospital's Rule] Can I Use Mathematical Induction to Prove This?

In summary: Therefore, as x approaches infinity, the limit of e^x over x^n also approaches infinity. This is a simpler alternative to using L'Hospital's Rule and mathematical induction to prove the same result.In summary, the Student's Manual applies l'Hospital's Rule multiple times to prove that ##\frac{e^x}{n!}\to\infty## as ##x\to\infty##. However, the conversation discusses the possibility of using Mathematical Induction to prove this statement. The proof provided in the conversation is valid, but it can also be simplified by using Taylor expansion to show that ##\frac{e^x}{n!}\to\infty## as ##x\to\infty##
Argonaut
Homework Statement
Prove that

$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{e^x}{x^n}=\infty$$

for any positive integer n. This shows that the exponential function approaches infinity faster than any power of x.

[Stewart Calculus, 4.4.73]
Relevant Equations
Derivative of Exponential Functions
Power Rule
L'Hospital's Rule
Mathematical Induction
The Student's Manual simply applies l'Hospital's Rule n-times to arrive at ##\frac{e^x}{n!}\to\infty## as ##x\to\infty##.

However, I'm wondering if I could use Mathematical Induction to prove this. Is the following correct and sufficiently rigorous (at least for an undergraduate-level Calculus 1 course)?

Show that the statement is true for n=1:
We apply l'Hospital's Rule.

$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{e^x}{x^1}=\lim_{x\to\infty} e^x = \infty$$

Show that the statement is true for n+1 if it is true for n:
Assume ##\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{e^x}{x^n}=\infty##. Then by applying l'Hospital's Rule to case n+1, we have

$$
\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{e^x}{x^{n+1}}=
\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{e^x}{(n+1)x^{n}}=
\frac{1}{n+1}\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{e^x}{x^{n}}=\infty
$$

Therefore, the statement has been proven true for all positive integers n by the principle of Mathematical Induction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you repeat derivatives. ##x^n## becomes n! after n, which is finite, times derivative. ##e^x## remains same after any times of derivative.

Last edited:
I think that your proof is valid. In a real proof, you would want to be more precise and say exactly which equality was from an application of L'Hospital's Rule.
Also, notice that you do not have to start the induction from n=1. You could start from n=0 and then you only need to apply L'Hospital's Rule once. (It's a little simpler.)

anuttarasammyak said:
Why don't you repeat derivatives. ##x^n## becomes n! after n, which is finite, times derivative. ##e^x## remains same after any times of derivative.
That's the solution the Student Solutions Manual provided.

FactChecker said:
I think that your proof is valid. In a real proof, you would want to be more precise and say exactly which equality was from an application of L'Hospital's Rule.
Also, notice that you do not have to start the induction from n=1. You could start from n=0 and then you only need to apply L'Hospital's Rule once. (It's a little simpler.)
I see! I started from n=1 because the exercise explicitly said n was "any positive integer".

Likes FactChecker
Argonaut said:
I see! I started from n=1 because the exercise explicitly said n was "any positive integer".
I see. So what they asked you to prove is included in what you could prove. Also, notice that the proof for the first one can be much different from the proof for the inductive n+1 step. The first one is often a relatively simple degenerate case.

• Informative
Likes Argonaut
FactChecker said:
I see. So what they asked you to prove is included in what you could prove. Also, notice that the proof for the first one can be much different from the proof for the inductive n+1 step. The first one is often a relatively simple degenerate case.
I've got you - thanks for the feedback!

Taylor expantion of e^x
[tex]e^x=\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^k}{k!}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{e^x}{x^n}=\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{x^{k-n}}{k!}[/tex]
So we know e^x becomes infinity faster than x^n for any n.

1. Can I use mathematical induction to prove L'Hospital's Rule?

No, mathematical induction is a proof technique used for proving statements about integers or mathematical objects defined recursively. L'Hospital's Rule is a calculus theorem that deals with limits of functions, and thus cannot be proven by mathematical induction.

2. What is L'Hospital's Rule?

L'Hospital's Rule is a mathematical theorem that provides a method for evaluating limits of indeterminate forms, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It states that if the limit of the quotient of two functions is indeterminate, then the limit of the quotient of their derivatives will be the same.

3. When should I use L'Hospital's Rule?

L'Hospital's Rule should only be used when the limit of a function is in an indeterminate form, and other methods such as direct substitution or factoring do not yield a solution. It is also important to check that the conditions for applying L'Hospital's Rule are satisfied before using it.

4. What are the conditions for applying L'Hospital's Rule?

The conditions for applying L'Hospital's Rule are that the limit must be in an indeterminate form, the functions involved must be differentiable in a neighborhood of the limit point, and the limit of the quotient of their derivatives must exist. Additionally, the limit point must be a real number or ±∞.

5. Can L'Hospital's Rule be used to evaluate limits at infinity?

Yes, L'Hospital's Rule can be used to evaluate limits at infinity if the limit of the quotient of the derivatives exists. In this case, the limit of the original function will be equal to the limit of the quotient of the derivatives.