1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving sequence tends to limit

1. Apr 20, 2013 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that $$\frac{x_n^2 - e}{x_n} \rightarrow 1-e$$ as ##n \rightarrow \infty##, provided ##x_n \rightarrow 1## as n ##\rightarrow \infty##.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The above holds if ##\,\forall\, \epsilon > 0 \,\exists \, N\, \in\, \mathbb{N}## such that if n ##\geq N## then ##|\frac{x_n^2 - e}{x_n} - (1-e)| < \epsilon##. Work with the expression in the mod signs and rewrite as: $$|x_n - \frac{e}{x_n} - 1 +e| \leq |x_n - 1| + |e-\frac{e}{x_n}|$$using the ##\Delta## inequality. The first term is ##< \epsilon## and the additional term on the RHS is positive, so can I just stop here?

If not, I proceeded using the fact that ##|x_n-1| < \epsilon## and established that ##|-\frac{1}{x_n}| < \frac{1}{1-\epsilon}\,\,(1)## This gives an upper bound entiirely in terms of ##\epsilon##. Since the statment should hold for all ##\epsilon##,then I would usually finsih here. However, I notice that if ##\epsilon =1## then I end up with nonsense. Is there something else I can try?

Many thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You cannot prove that something is smaller than ϵ with the statement "it is smaller than ϵ+(something positive)".

Do you know some basic laws of limits? Like the limit of a_n+b_n, if both a_n and b_n converge? You can prove the statement with those laws only, you don't need any ϵ.

4. Apr 21, 2013 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

I have seen proofs in my book where they have LHS < 2ε and conclude even though 2ε is greater than ε since ε is positive. The reasoning was that the statement holds for all epsilon, so it satisfies the requirement for the LHS to converge. I was trying to apply the same reasoning here: since above we have LHS < ε + ε, then in my case, the second terms is also > 0 so it is quite similar, no?

Yes, but I should have made it clear in the problem statement that this is to be done via ε-N.

5. Apr 21, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

It works if you include that factor of 2 and find an upper estimate for the second factor, right.

You can restrict the analysis to ϵ<a for any number a you like - in particular, it is not necessary to consider ϵ=1.

6. Apr 21, 2013 #5

CAF123

Gold Member

Since the statement is to hold for every ε > 0, though, when I take ε to be 1, the upper bound for |1/xn| is undefined. So the bound I have is not true for all epsilon.

7. Apr 21, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

That is not the direction the logic works.
    "For every ε, there is an N such that |whatever(n)|<ε for n>N"
    If that is true for ε=0.1 (with N=124, for example), it means that |whatever(n)|<0.1 for n>124.
    This implies |whatever(n)|<1 for n>124, so ε=1 is fine as well and you don't have to check it.

Therefore, you can restrict the analysis to small ε if you like.

8. Apr 21, 2013 #7

CAF123

Gold Member

Thanks mfb, so just going back to my workings in the OP, I have established an upper bound in terms of ##\epsilon## and so the LHS will be smaller than some small ##\epsilon##. However, since i have e in the second term: (my upper bound is) $$LHS < \epsilon + e \frac{2-\epsilon}{1-\epsilon},$$ I can't make the LHS get any smaller than ##\approx e##.

9. Apr 21, 2013 #8

mfb

2016 Award

I don't know where that expression comes from.

##|x_n-x|<a## => ##|\frac{1}{x_n}-\frac{1}{x}|<\frac{2a}{x^2}## for sufficiently small a and xn>0 ,x>0 could be a useful approximation.

10. Apr 21, 2013 #9

CAF123

Gold Member

I got $$|\frac{x_n^2 - e}{x_n} - (1-e)| \leq |x_n - 1| + |e - \frac{e}{x_n}|$$ as in the OP by triangle inequality. I have an upper bound for the first term and to get an upper bound for the second I applied the triangle inequality again: $$|e - \frac{e}{x_n}| = e|1-\frac{1}{x_n}| \leq e[1 + |-\frac{1}{x_n}|]\,\,(1)$$ Using the fact that ##-\epsilon < x_n - 1 < \epsilon## I have that ##|-\frac{1}{x_n}| < \frac{1}{1-\epsilon}##. So (1) is < e + (e/1-ε)

Then $$|\frac{x_n^2 - e}{x_n} - (1-e)| \leq \epsilon + e\left(1 + \frac{1}{1-\epsilon}\right) = \epsilon + e\left(\frac{2 - \epsilon}{1-\epsilon}\right)$$

11. Apr 21, 2013 #10

mfb

2016 Award

Well, that method does not work, as you can see from the result. You need some better way to re-write 1/x_n.

12. Apr 21, 2013 #11

CAF123

Gold Member

It doesn't work because we have a lower bound for the RHS (that being e which is not equal to 0)?
    Instead of using the triangle inequality again ,I rewrote $$|1-\frac{1}{x_n}| = \left|\frac{x_n - 1}{x_n}\right| = \frac{|x_n - 1|}{|x_n|} < \frac{\epsilon}{x_n}$$ For ##n \geq N##, ##x_n \rightarrow 1##, so this is less than ##\epsilon##. Is it better?

EDIT: I removed the mod sign for some reason. I am not sure how else to express 1/x_n. I got the bound $$\left|1-\frac{1}{x_n}\right| < \frac{\epsilon}{1+\epsilon}$$ so in the end, I have a final bound of $$LHS < \epsilon + \frac{e\epsilon}{1+\epsilon}$$ but this still limits the size of the right hand side.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  13. Apr 21, 2013 #12

mfb

2016 Award

Maybe it is clearer with an example:
    If you want to show that 1<3 and you show 1<5 this inequality is right, but it does not help. Showing 1<2 would help, however (assuming you know 2<3).

x_n->1 is not sufficient to have ##\frac{\epsilon}{x_n}<\epsilon##.

The last formula looks better, but I think it uses the wrong conclusion from above. It should work with 1-ϵ in the denominator.

You still need some variation to get the whole thing to be <ϵ, or modify the start of the proof such that <ϵ*whatever is sufficient.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted