Proving Set Theory Equation: Subsets of Size m = Subsets of Size n-m

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
TalonStriker
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Prove that, for all n, for all m with 0 <= m <= n, the number of subsets of {1, . . . , n} of size m is the same as the number of subsets of {1, . . . , n} of size n − m.


Homework Equations


n/a


The Attempt at a Solution


My problem is that I don't know where to begin. I have a vague notion that I should somehow find the powerset of all the sets of size m and n - m and compare their sizes. But I don't really know where to start.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
C(n,m)=C(n,n-m) since order of elements in a set is not important.
 
EnumaElish said:
Combinations?

I am not familiar with combinations... what are they?

A google search doesn't net me any useful results.
 
Last edited:
I want to choose m things. Therefore, I don't choose how many things?
 
If A is a subset of S= {1, 2,... n} with m members, how many members does S\A have? Do you see an obvious one-to-one correspondence?