Proving \sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k} = \frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}

  • Thread starter Thread starter courtrigrad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
courtrigrad
Messages
1,236
Reaction score
2
I want to show that [tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k} = \frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}[/tex] using the additive, homogeneous, and telescoping properties of summation. In a hint it says to write the sum as [tex](1-x)\sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k}[/tex]. How did they arrive at this? Did they factor out the [tex]1-x[/tex]. I don't see how they did this. I would then write [tex]x^{k}[/tex] as [tex]x^{k+1} - (x-1)^{k+1}[/tex]. Then what?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
courtrigrad said:
I want to show that [tex]\sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k} = \frac{1-x^{n+1}}{1-x}[/tex] using the additive, homogeneous, and telescoping properties of summation. In a hint it says to write the sum as [tex](1-x)\sum_{k=0}^{n} x^{k}[/tex]. How did they arrive at this? Did they factor out the [tex]1-x[/tex]. I don't see how they did this. I would then write [tex]x^{k}[/tex] as [tex]x^{k+1} - (x-1)^{k+1}[/tex]. Then what?

Thanks

Let the sum be represented by S. You want to find a neat expression for S.

One way to do that is to multiply S by (1-x). List out a few terms of S (maybe the first four, then "..." then the last two terms). Now multiply that by (1-x) term by term. Add up the like powers (same exponent of x) and see what happens. You will end up very quickly at the required proof.
 
Another way is that:
Let:
[tex]S = \sum_{n = 1} ^ k (x ^ n)[/tex]
Now multiply both sides by x, we have:
[tex]x S = \sum_{n = 1} ^ k (x ^ {n + 1}) = \sum_{n = 2} ^ {k + 1} (x ^ n)[/tex]
Now, from the 2 equations above, what can you do to get (1 - x) S?
Can you go from here? :)