1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that a nth degree polynomial is > (or < etc.) some constant.

1. Jun 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]x\in[/itex]R,
    Prove that if x>2 then [itex]x^4 - 8x^3+24x^2-32x+16[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I have only learned proofs involving even and odd numbers, that sort of thing. I'm not really sure how to approach this one. I was thinking that a proof by cases would suffice, so:

Proof:
    Case I: Assume that x>2, and let S = (0,[itex]\infty[/itex]). If follows that,
    x = (m+2) for some m[itex]\in[/itex]S.

And so,
    [itex]x^4 - 8x^3+24x^2-32x+16 = (m+2)^4 - 8(m+2)^3+24(m+2)^2-32(m+2)+16[/itex]

but now I see the problem becoming too difficult. We haven't learned about epsilon-delta et al. yet. I can see that the conclusion is ALWAYS true, so really the proof is trivial, but I am not sure how to say that.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2013 #2

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Your question looks incomplete. Is that supposed to be [itex]x^4 - 8x^3+24x^2-32x+16 > 0[/itex]?

What's ##(x-2)^4##? How does that help in your question?

4. Jun 6, 2013 #3
    Thank you for the reply,

Sorry, yes the whole equation should be greater than zero, or equal to/less than something, I just made the question up as an example.

I see that (x-2)^4 is in fact equal to that polynomial. Therefor, for it is always going to be greater than zero because it is to an even power (and there is the case where x is 2, and then it IS equal to zero). I don't know how I am supposed to write this though? I'm aware that the conclusion is true for all x, but how would I even prove that:

[itex](x-2)^4 > 0[/itex], for some x[itex]\in[/itex]R

Edit:

Oh wait, I think I see what you are getting at...

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  5. Jun 7, 2013 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

That should be ##(x-2)^4 \geq 0## for some ##x \in \mathbb{R}##. Equality occurs at x = 2. These little details are important.

You don't even need to bother with the case ##x \leq 2## since the question didn't ask for it.

Sketch the curve, and just make the appropriate arguments.

To prove the function is always increasing beyond x = 2, what can you say about the derivative for any x greater than 2?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted