Proving that force and acceleration are proportional

In summary, you were able to use data from an experiment to show that force is proportional to acceleration.
adam199

Homework Statement

I need to prove that force is proportional to acceleration given the results of my experiment. We used a frictionless air glide track at a fixed angle and took data on the velocity of a gliding flag moving down the track. In the experiment, I put more weight on the flag for each successive trial, yet the measured final velocity for each trial was the same, at around 0.4 m/s. So for each trial at a fixed angle, I got the exact same velocity for all runs, despite the change in weight put on the flag. Given this data, I'm supposed to prove that force is proportional to acceleration

Homework Equations

F=ma

a=F/m

a=[v(final)^2-v(initial)^2]/(2x) <-----x is the distance travelled, and v(initial) is 0

The Attempt at a Solution

The best I could come up with was that acceleration was fixed because force and mass were in the same ratio for each trial, but force must've increased for each trial along with the increase in mass to keep acceleration fixed. I'm not sure how a fixed acceleration with an increasing force can show how force and acceleration are proportional.

If you all need more information just let me know, and I may be able to provide it since I have more information from the experiment.

I would appreciate the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Force was due to gravity - the gravitational force is proportional to the mass.

You'd have been able to vary the acceleration by changing the angle of the track.
You could have added a pulley and an extra mass and pulled the air-cart along the track with different falling weights. All kinds of stuff (that also have their own pitfalls).

So your force was ##F=mg\sin(\theta)##, for different forces you measured the acceleration... then you can plot acceleration against force ... and you get a constant acceleration for a range of forces and you conclude that the experiment failed to show that the force was proportional to the acceleration.
In fact, what you have demonstrated is that all falling objects have the same acceleration ... Galileo did a similar experiment to demonstrate the same thing.

Simon Bridge said:
Force was due to gravity - the gravitational force is proportional to the mass.

You'd have been able to vary the acceleration by changing the angle of the track.
You could have added a pulley and an extra mass and pulled the air-cart along the track with different falling weights. All kinds of stuff (that also have their own pitfalls).

So your force was ##F=mg\sin(\theta)##, for different forces you measured the acceleration... then you can plot acceleration against force ... and you get a constant acceleration for a range of forces and you conclude that the experiment failed to show that the force was proportional to the acceleration.
In fact, what you have demonstrated is that all falling objects have the same acceleration ... Galileo did a similar experiment to demonstrate the same thing.

I know this is late, but I wanted to thank you for helping me clear things up.

What is the relationship between force and acceleration?

The relationship between force and acceleration is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion. It states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that if the force applied to an object increases, its acceleration will also increase proportionally.

How can you prove that force and acceleration are proportional?

To prove the proportional relationship between force and acceleration, you can conduct an experiment using a force sensor and an accelerometer. By changing the force applied to an object and measuring its resulting acceleration, you can plot a graph and observe that the data points fall on a straight line. This demonstrates the direct proportionality between force and acceleration.

What is the formula for calculating force and acceleration?

The formula for calculating force and acceleration is F = ma, where F represents force in Newtons (N), m represents mass in kilograms (kg), and a represents acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s²). This formula is derived directly from Newton's Second Law of Motion.

How does the mass of an object affect the relationship between force and acceleration?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the relationship between force and acceleration. However, the mass of an object does affect the amount of force required to accelerate it. Objects with larger masses require more force to produce the same acceleration as objects with smaller masses.

Are there any exceptions to the proportional relationship between force and acceleration?

In most cases, force and acceleration are directly proportional. However, there are exceptions to this relationship, such as when an object experiences air resistance or when dealing with extremely high speeds or very small objects. In these cases, the relationship may be more complex and may require additional factors to be taken into account.