Proving that n-th root of n is irrational

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the irrationality of \sqrt[n]{n} when n is greater than 1. The main approach is to assume that \sqrt[n]{n} is rational and then look for common factors between n and p, which leads to a contradiction. The conversation also explores the case when n is prime and when n is not prime.
annoymage

Homework Statement

if n>1, prove that [tex]\sqrt[n]{n}[/tex] irrational

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

so suppose it is rational, so i know [tex]\sqrt[n]{n}[/tex] must be integer, say p

then [tex]n=p^n[/tex] and how do i prove this is not true??

i can prove if p>1 then [tex]p^n>n[/tex] for all n>1 by induction, and when p=1 its clearly contradiction, so i don't know the case when p<1

or rather someone have other easy way to prove the question? clue please T_T

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

annoymage said:

Homework Statement

if n>1, prove that [tex]\sqrt[n]{n}[/tex] irrational

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

so suppose it is rational, so i know [tex]\sqrt[n]{n}[/tex] must be integer, say p

I assume by your notation that n is a positive integer.

What you know is that [tex]\sqrt[n]{n}[/tex] can be written as the quotient of two integers p and q having no common factors.

LCKurtz said:
What you know is that [tex]\sqrt[n]{n}[/tex] can be written as the quotient of two integers p and q having no common factors.

i know, but i also know that if [tex]\sqrt[n]{n}=\frac{p}{q}\ ,\ gcd(p,q)=1[/tex] then q=1

but heyyyyyy, i realized something

LCKurtz said:
I assume by your notation that n is a positive integer.

when i assume [tex]\sqrt[n]{n}=p[/tex] i know p must be positive

so i already prove it right? since [tex]n=p^n[/tex] is a contradiction because [tex]p^n[/tex] is always greater than n if p>1, and if p=1 then [tex]n \neq 1^n[/tex] is it right?

What he's saying that, suppose that [tex]n^{1/n}[/tex] is rational, then there is a p and a q (with no common factors) such that:
[tex]
n^{1/n}=\frac{p}{q}\Rightarrow p^{n}=nq^{n}
[/tex]
Now you look for how p^{n} is made up, what factors does it have?

ahhhhh i see so i have to find common factor other than 1,

[tex]n|p^n[/tex] , etc etc... , then [tex]n|q^n[/tex], then since [tex]gcd(a,b)=1[/tex], then [tex]gcd(a^n,b^n)=1[/tex] so [tex]n|1[/tex] so n=1, still can't find common factor T_T more clue

you know that
[tex]
n|p^{n}\Rightarrow n|p
[/tex]
So we can write [tex]p=\alpha n[/tex], so...

hunt_mat said:
you know that
[tex]
n|p^{n}\Rightarrow n|p
[/tex]

wait is that true? i got counter example n=4, p=2
right?

Then there is a factor of n which is also factor of p, and factors of p are want you want. You're correct of course, well done for noticing, If n is prime, does my solution work? If n isn't prime then it can be broken down into prime factors.

ahh i see i see

if n is prime then n is the new common factor

If not, n has a prime factor, say d, d l n, then bla bla bla d is the new common factor right? thankssssssssss

You can get a great deal of the information of how to prove should go by examining the proof the square root of 2 is irrational.

1. What is the definition of an irrational number?

The definition of an irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, it cannot be written as a fraction.

2. How do you prove that the n-th root of n is irrational?

The most common method to prove this is by contradiction. Assume that the n-th root of n is rational, meaning it can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. Then, using algebraic manipulation, you can show that this leads to a contradiction, proving that the assumption was false and therefore the n-th root of n must be irrational.

3. Can you provide an example of a proof for the n-th root of n being irrational?

One example is the proof for the square root of 2 being irrational. It begins by assuming that the square root of 2 is rational, and then using algebraic manipulation to show that this leads to a contradiction. This proof can be easily extended to any n-th root of n.

4. Are there any other methods to prove that the n-th root of n is irrational?

Yes, there are other methods such as using the Rational Root Theorem or the Euclidean Algorithm. However, the proof by contradiction is the most commonly used and straightforward method.

5. Why is it important to prove that the n-th root of n is irrational?

Proving that the n-th root of n is irrational is important because it helps us understand the properties of irrational numbers and their relationship to rational numbers. It also has applications in various fields such as number theory, cryptography, and computer science.