1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that something is a subspace of all the infinite sequences

1. Oct 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

let V be the vector space consisting of all infinite real sequences. Show that the subset W consisting of all such sequences with only finitely many non-0 entities is a subspace of V

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok so i have to show 1.Closure under Addition,2. Closure under Scalar Multiplcation

let x=(x[tex]_{n}[/tex]),y=(y[tex]_{n}[/tex]) [tex]\in[/tex] W
    x + y [tex]\in[/tex] W closed under addition and since W is a set of finite sequences [tex]\in[/tex] V as it consists of infinite sequences

[tex]\lambda[/tex] is a scalar and [tex]\lambda[/tex]x [tex]\in[/tex] W closed under scalar multiplication and since W is a set of finite sequences [tex]\in[/tex] V as it consists of infinite sequences

I think this proves it

...But if [tex]\lambda[/tex] is negative this proof doesnt work,is there something i am missing or have i provided the required proof?
    Thanks

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: subspace

You want to check your definitions for V and W.
    W is not closed under addition because the sequences in W are finite and those in V are infinite... you actually told us yourself that V consists of finite sequences.
    What you need to check is that when you add two sequences with finitely many non-zero entries, you get something with finitely many non-zero entries.

So either look carefully at your proof, or at your definitions, because it looks like the proof doesn't belong to the exercise.

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3

whoops really sorry V consists of all infinite real sequences.

if W only consists of finitely many entries and V consists of infinite does it not follow that W has to be a sub space?

5. Oct 16, 2009 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, it follows, but you still have to show it by checking the properties of a subspace.

For example: is W closed? I.e., if you take two infinite sequences with only finitely many non-zero entries, and you add them, do you get again a sequence with only finitely many non-zero entries?

What else do you have to show?

6. Oct 16, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Suppose u has n non-zero entries and v has m non zero entries. What is the maximum possible number of non-zero entries of u+ v?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook