Proving that the Archimedean axiom is true

Homework Statement

Show that the Archimedean axiom O5 follows from the Least Upper Bound Property O6, together with the other axioms for the reals.

Homework Equations

O5 = [if a,b > 0, then there is a positive integer n such that b<a+a+a+...+a (n summands)] or [if a,b > 0, then b < na or b/a < n]

O6 = if A is any nonempty subset of R that is bounded above, then there is a least upper bound for A.

The Attempt at a Solution

My teacher told us to do this as a proof by contradiction so that's the format I'll be doing.

Suppose the Archimedean axiom is false towards a proof by contradiction. Therefore, there exists some a,b > 0 such that b [itex]\geq[/itex] na, or b/a [itex]\geq[/itex] n.
Then the set, say N, is bounded above by b/a and so sup(N) exists. Write sup(N) = S.

And then I can't figure out how to finish this proof.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

That [itex]S=\sup(\mathbb{N})[/itex] means that there is a natural number n that is close to S. But then n+1>S...

Try to formalize this.

If n+1>S, then there exists a natural number not bounded above by S.
This is a contradiction as the set N is the set of whole positive integers and adding 1 would not exclude any n previously in the set N.

Is that right?

If n+1>S, then there exists a natural number not bounded above by S.
This is a contradiction as the set N is the set of whole positive integers and adding 1 would not exclude any n previously in the set N.

Is that right?

Yes, that is correct. How would you choose n though?

I would choose n to be close to S, or S-1<n<S.

So for any n bounded above by S but greater than S-1, if n+1>S, then there exists a natural number not bounded above by S.

And so on, and so on. Is that specific enough?

I would choose n to be close to S, or S-1<n<S.

So for any n bounded above by S but greater than S-1, if n+1>S, then there exists a natural number not bounded above by S.

And so on, and so on. Is that specific enough?

Yes, but you need to state why such an n exists. You probably know it, but I want to make sure.

Oh. Um, it exists because S is the supremum of the set?

Oh. Um, it exists because S is the supremum of the set?

Yes, do you understand why?

S is the supremum of the set because the set is bounded above by b/a, which is what sup(N[/]) is defined as at the beginning of the proof (b/a ≥ n).