1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that the Archimedean axiom is true

1. Sep 13, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the Archimedean axiom O5 follows from the Least Upper Bound Property O6, together with the other axioms for the reals.

2. Relevant equations
    O5 = [if a,b > 0, then there is a positive integer n such that b<a+a+a+...+a (n summands)] or [if a,b > 0, then b < na or b/a < n]

O6 = if A is any nonempty subset of R that is bounded above, then there is a least upper bound for A.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My teacher told us to do this as a proof by contradiction so that's the format I'll be doing.

Suppose the Archimedean axiom is false towards a proof by contradiction. Therefore, there exists some a,b > 0 such that b [itex]\geq[/itex] na, or b/a [itex]\geq[/itex] n.
    Then the set, say N, is bounded above by b/a and so sup(N) exists. Write sup(N) = S.

And then I can't figure out how to finish this proof.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That [itex]S=\sup(\mathbb{N})[/itex] means that there is a natural number n that is close to S. But then n+1>S...

Try to formalize this.

4. Sep 13, 2011 #3
    If n+1>S, then there exists a natural number not bounded above by S.
    This is a contradiction as the set N is the set of whole positive integers and adding 1 would not exclude any n previously in the set N.

Is that right?

5. Sep 13, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, that is correct. How would you choose n though?

6. Sep 13, 2011 #5
    I would choose n to be close to S, or S-1<n<S.

So for any n bounded above by S but greater than S-1, if n+1>S, then there exists a natural number not bounded above by S.

And so on, and so on. Is that specific enough?

7. Sep 13, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, but you need to state why such an n exists. You probably know it, but I want to make sure.

8. Sep 13, 2011 #7
    Oh. Um, it exists because S is the supremum of the set?

9. Sep 13, 2011 #8

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, do you understand why?

10. Sep 13, 2011 #9
    S is the supremum of the set because the set is bounded above by b/a, which is what sup(N[/]) is defined as at the beginning of the proof (b/a ≥ n).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook