Completeness axiom/Achimedean principle and sup set.

In summary: So, in summary, the proof shows that for the set B = {\frac{1}{2}, \frac{2}{3}, \frac{3}{4}, ...}, the supremum (or least upper bound) is 1, as 1 is an upper bound and any smaller number would lead to a contradiction.
Max.Planck

Homework Statement

Let [tex]B=\left\{{\frac{1}{2},\frac{2}{3},\frac{3}{4},...}\right\} [/tex]
Prove sup B = 1

Homework Equations

Archimedean principle:
Let a<b and a>0 [tex]\exists n \in{N}[/tex] such that an > b.

The Attempt at a Solution

Its trivial to see that 1 is an upper bound for B and B is nonempty, so B must have a finite supremum by the completeness axiom.

I want to show that 1 is the smallest upper bound. So I want to try to do a proof by contradiction:
Let M be an upper bound for B, and M<0.

-- Find contradiction ?

I know each element in B is a/b, with natural numbers a and b and a<b. But how to continue further??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Max.Planck said:
I know each element in B is a/b, with natural numbers a and b and a<b. But how to continue further??
Well, surely you know more than that:
[tex]\frac{1}{2} = 1 - \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{2}{3} = 1 - \frac{1}{3}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{3}{4} = 1 - \frac{1}{4}[/tex]
Does this suggest a formula for the elements of B?

Yes, each element in B is of the form:

[tex]1-\frac{1}{k} , k>1, k\in{N}[/tex]

So intuitively its easy to see you can choose a k such that |1-(1-1/k)|<ε, for ε>0.

Max.Planck said:
Yes, each element in B is of the form:

[tex]1-\frac{1}{k} , k>1, k\in{N}[/tex]

So intuitively its easy to see you can choose a k such that |1-(1-1/k)|<ε, for ε>0.

I want to prove that there exists a k, such that 1-1/k > M, when M<1.

Max.Planck said:
I want to prove that there exists a k, such that 1-1/k > M, when M<1.

Pick ε=1-M>0. Then your Archimedean principle tells you there is a k such that kε>1. So ε>1/k. So?

Dick said:
Pick ε=1-M>0. Then your Archimedean principle tells you there is a k such that kε>1. So ε>1/k. So?

Yes thanks, I think this is correct.

So the proof will look like this.

To prove, sup B = 1

Proof:
(1) Let M be an upper bound for B and M<1.

(2) 1-M > 0 (follows from 1)

(3) Exists natural number n s.t. : n(1-M) > 1 (Archimedean principle)

(4) (1-M) > 1/n (First multiplicative propery)

(5) -M > 1/n -1 (Follows from 4)

(6) M < 1 - 1/n (Contradiction, since M is an upper bound for B and 1-1/n is in B)

(7) Conclusion: 1 must be the least upper bound, therefore sup B = 1

Max.Planck said:
Yes thanks, I think this is correct.

So the proof will look like this.

To prove, sup B = 1

Proof:
(1) Let M be an upper bound for B and M<1.

(2) 1-M > 0 (follows from 1)

(3) Exists natural number n s.t. : n(1-M) > 1 (Archimedean principle)

(4) (1-M) > 1/n (First multiplicative propery)

(5) -M > 1/n -1 (Follows from 4)

(6) M < 1 - 1/n (Contradiction, since M is an upper bound for B and 1-1/n is in B)

(7) Conclusion: 1 must be the least upper bound, therefore sup B = 1

That looks ok to me. Since you know 1 is an upper bound, it must be the least upper bound.

What is the Completeness Axiom?

The Completeness Axiom, also known as the Dedekind Completeness Axiom, is a fundamental principle in mathematics that states that any non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above must have a least upper bound.

What is the Archimedean Principle?

The Archimedean Principle, also known as the Archimedean Property, is a fundamental principle in mathematics that states that for any two real numbers, there exists a natural number that is greater than the first number, multiplied by any given positive number.

What is the significance of the Completeness Axiom and Archimedean Principle?

The Completeness Axiom and Archimedean Principle are fundamental principles that underlie the real number system and allow for the development of calculus and other advanced mathematical concepts. They ensure that the real number line is continuous and that there are no "gaps" in between numbers.

How are the Completeness Axiom and Archimedean Principle related?

The Completeness Axiom and Archimedean Principle are closely related in that they both deal with the concept of the real number line being continuous and without gaps. The Completeness Axiom guarantees the existence of least upper bounds for bounded sets of real numbers, while the Archimedean Principle guarantees the existence of natural numbers that are greater than any given real number.

What is a sup set?

A sup set, also known as a supremum set, is a set of real numbers that is bounded above and has a least upper bound. The sup set is the smallest real number that is greater than or equal to all the numbers in the set. This concept is based on the Completeness Axiom and is essential for the development of advanced mathematical concepts such as limits and continuity.