1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving that the free particle lagrangian is rotationally symmetric

1. Feb 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the free particle lagrangian is invariant to rotations in $$\Re^{3}$$, but I assume this means invariant up to a gauge term.
    $$L=m/2 [\dot{R^{2}} + R^{2}\dot{θ^{2}} +R^{2}Sin^{2}(θ)\dot{\phi^{2}}$$

2. Relevant equations
    I consider an aribtrary infinitesimal rotation:
    $$ \theta(t,\epsilon)=\theta(t,0)+\epsilon \Delta \theta $$
    $$ \phi(t,\epsilon)=\phi(t,0)+\delta \Delta \phi $$

3. The attempt at a solution
    The new angle derivitives are identical to the first, since we evaluate them by taking the time partial of the transformed coordinates.
    I am running into issues with the $$Sin^{2}(\theta)$$ term.
    $$Sin^{2}(\theta) \rightarrow Sin^{2}(\theta)+2Cos(\theta)Sin(\theta) \epsilon \Delta \theta + O(\epsilon^{2})$$

The epsilon term is throwing me off, because I can't get it to disappear or rewrite it as a gauge term.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2013 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Proving that the free particle lagrangian is rotationally symmetri

Why do you have to use infinitesimal rotations and a Lagrangian written in terms of spherical coordinates?

Whey not apply a finite rotation to

[tex]L = \frac{1}{2} m \dot{\vec{r}} \cdot \dot{\vec{r}} ?[/tex]

4. Feb 26, 2013 #3
    Re: Proving that the free particle lagrangian is rotationally symmetri

It seemed more straightforward to apply displacements in the angular directions. To apply a general rotation matrix would be a ton more algebra, no?

I need to use infinitesimal rotations because I am trying to prove a continuous symmetry for noether's theorem

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted