Proving the Derivative of Inverse Sine without Trigonometry

  • Thread starter Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
QuarkCharmer
Messages
1,049
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Prove that:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}arcsin(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/tex]

Homework Equations



The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]y=arcsin(x)[/tex]
[tex]sin(y)=sin(arcsin(x))[/tex]
[tex]sin(y)=x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(sin(y)=x)[/tex]
[tex]cos(y)\frac{dy}{dx}=1[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{cos(y)}[/tex]
Using a triangle:
[tex]cos(y)=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^2}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}arcsin(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1-x^{2}}}[/tex]

We were shown these in class before starting trig-sub and all that, and the professor said that there are proofs by differentiation. I don't know how to explain the steps where I determine that the cosine of the angle y is equal to sqrt(1-x^2) without drawing out a triangle. Is there some way? Other than that I think I have it figured out and I can do the same for the other functions.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, certainly,

[tex]x=sin(y)[/tex]

In addition,

[tex]sin^2y+cos^2y=1[/tex]

So it certainly follows that,

[tex]cos(y)=\sqrt{1-sin^2y}[/tex]

You can see that it follows naturally (by substitution) that,

[tex]cos(y)=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/tex]

And we're done!
 
Oh haha. That really should have occurred to me considering that I used the pyth. theorem to find cos(y).

Thanks
 
Since you refer to "Using a triangle", you can also do it this (equivalent) way:
imagine a right triangle triangle having "opposite side" of length x and "hypotenuse" of length 1, so that sin(y)= x/1= x. Then, by the Pythgorean theorem, the "near side" has length [itex]\sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex]. From that, [itex]cos(y)= \sqrt{1- x^2}[/itex].