Proving the Equivalence of Languages over \Sigma: A Mathematical Approach

  • Thread starter Thread starter ayusuf
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
ayusuf
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If L is a language over [tex]\Sigma[/tex] then lim n -> inf of Ln = [tex]\Sigma[/tex]* iff ([tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\cup[/tex]{[tex]\lambda[/tex]})[tex]\subseteq[/tex] L

Also Lk = {x1x2...xk | x1, x2, ...xk [tex]\in[/tex] L}


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I started by saying there is an w is an element of sigma then it is also an element of L so I might use induction but I really don't even know if I started right. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


What is the definition of limit you use in the expression [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} L^n[/tex]?

If [tex]L[/tex] does not contain the empty string [tex]\epsilon[/tex], then it is not true that [tex]L \subset L^2 \subset L^3 \subset \cdots[/tex], because the shortest string in [tex]L^n[/tex] has length [tex]n[/tex] times the length of the shortest string in [tex]L[/tex]. In this case, you therefore cannot use [tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} L^n = \bigcup_{n=0}^\infty L^n[/tex] as a definition. You can even construct a case (say, [tex]L = \Sigma[/tex]) where the [tex]L^n[/tex] are pairwise disjoint!