Proving the Inequality for Pseudoinverse and 2-Norm: Is ||A+|| ≤ ||A1-1||?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Codezion
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Codezion
Messages
17
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Prove that the ||A+|| [tex]\leq[/tex] ||A1-1||
Where A+=(ATA)-1AT, ||.|| is the 2 norm and A is an mxn matrix

Homework Equations



A = [[tex]\stackrel{A1}{A2}[/tex]] where A1 is an nxn nonsingular square matrix and A2 is any random matrix that is (m-n)xn

The Attempt at a Solution



All I did was replace all the A's in the pseduoinverse with A1 and A2 and found the following:
||(A1TA1 + A2TA2)_1(A1 A2)|| but cannot proceed much. I really appreciate any help! Thank you.

Homework Statement


Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution

 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, (A^TA)^-1=A^-1(A^T)^-1
So you get that A dagger equals A^-1 by definition, have you wrriten the problem as it is in the book?
 
You did not write the problem as specified in the book.

The book asks you to show that [tex]||A^+||_2 \le ||A_1^{-1}||_2[/tex] . This is not the same as [tex]||A^+||_2 \le ||A^{-1}||_2[/tex] . The latter does not even make sense because A can not have an inverse.
 
Thank you DH! I have corrected my problem - I think all the latex syntax confused me.